View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2011, 03:30 PM

Extraordinary Dogs TV Prog. Prong collars.

Did anyone notice what looked like a prong collar on the black lab that is the ex-soldiers assistance dog?

What do you think of this?

or did I mistake it?.. (dont think I did)

(episode two)
MississippiRick
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-02-2011, 04:20 PM
I don't really understand what your point is?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by MississippiRick View Post
I don't really understand what your point is?
My point is; what do you think about it?

Normally 'service dogs' are trained using positive methods as far as I was aware and so I was a bit shocked to see the dog wearing a prong collar. Just wondered what others thought about it. Their views, info etc
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2011, 10:53 PM
The pinch collar the Labrador is wearing doesn't have sharp ends & is not as bad as many people like to believe. When used correctly the collar applies pressure all the way around the neck & the collar is never ever used like a choker(like the lame siezure alert dog was wearing)if the dog begins to pull the collar tightens & the dog stops pulling.

Not that I approve of them being used on what I call"passive"dogs as opposed to police/service active dogs.

It does not "choke" the dog, but having rescued a dog that pulled like a train because it had been walked on a harness, I tried a pinch collar on him(he was a very big strong GSD & not a baby puppy)because the pulling was a learned behaviour. He started to pull just once & got about a pace in front of me & then returned to my side & never pulled again. He was a dog that was not initially motivated by food or toys because he had never been allowed to have toys & wasn't a good eater either so even trying food was a total waste of time(pre clicker training BTW), once I had stopped the pulling he wore the pinch collar & a flat leather collar & had his lead attached only to the flat collar for a couple of weeks & then he never wore the pinch collar again. I never pulled or janked on the lead the once it was attached to his lead.
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Yes saw it and found it very odd that they wore them. PAT dogs cannot wear anything other than a flat collar, as you should have complete control over them without the use of any training aids, so why would a supposedly well trained service dog need one?! i guess the US see things very differently to us brits
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 10:22 AM
I saw it too. I have seen loads of assistance type dogs (on TV) wearing prong collars I think it is just the "done" thing in the US. Not sure why though.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 11:39 AM
It's odd to be honest.

What i did notice was that all the dogs were very very quiet - but to the point of it being strange rather than good training.

I noticed this straight away.

I dont understand why they need this. In the Uk, Canine Partners, Support Dogs, (for example) and others do not use prong collars or choke chains or any aversive equipment, yet their dogs are well behaved, show affection and use their brains I believe guide dogs may be the exception.

I was very disappointed. I would suggest it's either because prongs are just more accepted in the US or else because - hate to say it - those particular trainers are not as good as those in the Uk similar organisations. There may be other reasons but my mind has gone blank.

To sum up I'd say "disappointing and surprising, and possibly affecting the dog's behaviour, possibly negatively for the dog".

Wys
x
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Those were pretty much my thoughts wys. Also if the dogs were trained to such a high standard, why would they need such equipment even after the dogs have "graduated"?
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Hmm just Googled; prong collars on service dogs. It brought up a forum and from what i gather; because the dogs are trained to walk on a prong they do not carry this training over to a flat collar and so will only walk in a reasonable manner when wearing the prong. My thoughts ; improperly trained dogs which must rely on the use of a tool in order to get the best out of them. Not very good imo
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 12:24 PM
Didn't watch it, but it's actually a bit scary that dogs that are trained only to the level of maintenance equipment being used (if this is the case) are put to work as assistance dogs.

These babies need to be bomb-proof in all of their training for the safety of those they are assisting.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >