Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pickalilly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-02-2011, 03:01 PM

Dog Bath???

How often should I bathe my two Mini Schanuzers? Most people say every 2 months or so to not dry out the dog, but I take my dogs for an extra long park session every weekend, where they get totally covered every time. So . .. I bath them once a week now. Is that too often? I can't stop taking them to the park, they will be so disappointed! . . . And, I can't just leave the in mud!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2011, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by Pickalilly View Post
How often should I bathe my two Mini Schanuzers? Most people say every 2 months or so to not dry out the dog, but I take my dogs for an extra long park session every weekend, where they get totally covered every time. So . .. I bath them once a week now. Is that too often? I can't stop taking them to the park, they will be so disappointed! . . . And, I can't just leave the in mud!
my dogs get muddy every single day!!
imo yes u are bathing too often!! towel dry ur guys then anything left after brushes out when dry,if u cant bring yourself to do that then why not just hose them down?
imo u cant have dogs and not take them out because 'they may get muddy' .
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2011, 04:29 PM
I think bathing every week is far too often and not good for the dogs coat at all. I agree with Tupac.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-02-2011, 07:10 PM
It isn't a good idea to wash a Minis coat regularly. The outer coat is meant to be harsh and wiry like that of a badger and it contains natural oils which give it waterproof qualities. Washing the coat too often can make it soft and strip out the natural oils, a good brush with a bristle brush should remove any dust and dirt. Also try stretching an old pair of tights or a stocking over the brush, this will trap any dust.

The furnishings are a different matter, the hair is soft and it is ok to rinse them frequently. I keep a washing up bowl and towels in the garage and wash my dog's furnishings in clean warm water most days in the winter when she has been down the fields and comes back muddy.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2011, 02:46 PM
My dogs get bathed once or twice a year at most.

At this time of year it's impossible for dogs not to get wet and muddy, especially if they are active types who run off lead. If I can i'll get mine to splash around in the river or lake if we're near one to rinse it off otherwise Jed gets the hosepipe treatment (not very nice but it's the only way to get most of the crud out!) The others just get towelled dried and brushed as they are short coated.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 05:25 PM
My guys get their bellies rinsed after a muddy walk - except today when they got a muddy walk followed by a bath - photo shoot tomorrow so they need to be clean.

Once a week is too often - I agree with Tupac and Mini
MarcusF
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-03-2011, 11:20 PM
Dry them off and brush the mud out when totally dry.

My two get bathed once or twice a week but it depends on the breed, what you use and how you do it.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 01:38 AM
Originally Posted by MarcusF View Post
Dry them off and brush the mud out when totally dry.

My two get bathed once or twice a week but it depends on the breed, what you use and how you do it.
unless your talking a bath of pure water..i cannot think what breeds that need bathing twice weekly!
MarcusF
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-03-2011, 02:33 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
unless your talking a bath of pure water..i cannot think what breeds that need bathing twice weekly!
Not pure water, no. Afghan hounds going through the coat change
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2011, 06:52 PM
My boxer has a short smooth coat so that makes it easy to keep her clean.A shampoo and bath is an occasional thing almost a rarity.I do have an oblong plastic plasterers bath that gets used if Ruby gets muddy.I am considerate I do fill it with warm water even though the water in rivers and streams don't get warmed before she goes in.I add a bit of teatree oil to the water because it smells nice and makes me feel better Otherwise it's just a rub down with a damp cloth.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >