View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TheABCs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-02-2011, 08:19 PM

What chance meeting, opportunity, or book changed your life in a positive way?

Often what seems to be a minor event in your life, can change the direction of it forever. Does anyone have any examples?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 08:29 PM
I think something happened this week which has helped cement a new direction for me.

That remains to be seen but 20 + years ago I met a medium (spiritual) who became my teacher and many things led on from that. My whole life and philosophy changed.

rune
TheABCs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-02-2011, 08:52 PM
I was just passing the time of day with an IT chap who came to fix my computer at work. He mentioned one of his favourite authors - a 60's philosopher/author I had never heard of (unlike Leary or Huxley). By chance, I found a book by him in the local library while looking for something else. It changed my philosophy of life - as your experiences with the medium did for you, Rune.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 10:00 PM
it wassn't the 'I'm OK You're OK' bloke was it?

rune
TheABCs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-02-2011, 12:12 AM
Nope...

Here's a couple of quotes from the chap:

Certitude belongs exclusively to those who only own one encyclopedia.

I think I got off on the wrong planet. Beam me up Scotty, there's no rational life here

Only the madman is absolutely sure.

The longer one is alone, the easier it is to hear the song of the earth.

I use the word "philosopher" loosely...
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 08:11 AM
My life was changed by.......
  • Firstly a skiing accident which, after loads of physio & an op, resulted in me volunteering as a dog walker with the local Dogs Trust.
  • Through dog walking I ended up rehoming a people- aggressive dog. I learned so much from him.
  • In trying to help this dog I saw a behaviourist & ended up studying canine behaviour with her for 18 months, then went on to do a cat behaviour course as well.
  • During the course we were required to study the benefits of pos R & read "Coercion & its Fallout". That really made me see why pos R is so much better in all walks of life ~ not just a dog training philosophy.
  • On the course & via the dog walking I met some fantastic lovely people who have become lifelong friends.

So I suppose if I hadn't fallen off the drag lift on my 2nd day of skiing, my life could have been very different. But I wouldn't change a thing now
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 09:40 AM
There`s a book called `Men Who Hate Women and the Women Who Love Them`
(I know, dreadful title) I picked it up at a book fair and it totally changed my life.
I`d been in an abusive relationship for years - trying desperately to appease a controlling and occasionally violent partner. This book opened my eyes and gave me the courage to stand up to him (and leave him) . Previously I thought it was my fault the relationship was so bad - because that`s what he told me.
I would recommend it to anyone in a difficult relationship.
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2011, 09:55 AM
I got a dog. I had given up looking as I had trawled the rescues and never got THE feeling. This dog just turned up emaciated with half it's head missing and I had her.
I discovered that the single life was for me. I am much happier just me and my girl. Even now now saddly it's a different girl. Don't get me wrong I love current girl. Just miss my Lucy Junk Yard.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 10:00 AM
That day my parents disowned me over something so trivial as my wedding. Realising I cannot live my life for my parents anymore, and that I have to live it for me, at the age of 27 changed my life forever............

And thank god I realised this fairly young..........
Tinglesnark
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2011, 01:23 PM
i think lots of little things happened to change me. They all seem to have merged together and changed me from a meek and mild people pleaser to a strong minded, deeply loyal and loving mother. The birth of my second child gave me clarity and i suddenly stood up against my lovely but very controlling mother and i joined La Leche League and whereas with my first i allowed her to rule me and stop me breast feeding at 10 days so that she could take over, this time i stonewalled her and 2 years later i am still breastfeeding that child. I have become militant and my own person. I no longer put my mother first, my partner has always taken a backseat to her but as my confidence in my mothering skills grew, so did my spine!

We are now at a happy point where we are a secure family unit with a new puppy and a wedding in September.

Looking back, I would say La Leche League changed me and made me a better mother and a better person.

No-one rules me, controls me or makes me feel inferior these days because the LLL showed me how to overcome some of the most difficult issues that i have ever encountered. I know that i have come through some bad times and so anything else is going to be "dealable"

a ramble, sorry! i have earache and thoughts are jumbled!

x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >