Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 11:42 PM

So sad how many kids smoke now

As you know I am an adult instructor with the Army Cadets. We were doing physical achievement tonight, and I was dismayed at how many of the recruits who are between 12 and 15 smoke and were getting breathless at some of the stuff they were doing to pass the test. It wasn't exactly taxing stuff either, cause it was dark out we couldn't do the endurance run or the speed test so it was just sit ups, press ups and a few other bits.

We were discussing it walking up from the detachment tonight, and I was saying it was not something I understood, why do they smoke, what's the attraction? The answer I got was the noncommital shrug that teens seem so good at. However, at least two of the lassies were shocked into quitting when they realised I was fitter than them and I'm 3 times their age.

It's shocking, it's the parents too, they smoke like chimneys but go nuts if their kids smoke...where the hell do you think they learned it from. I just don't get it, what the hell is the attraction.

My folks smoked and I had to clean out and wash the overflowing ashtrays...even now the smell of a wet ashtray or even the thought of it will make me feel so sick, so it's not something that ever tempted me thankfully.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 08:40 AM
It really winds me up when you see Parents smoking around kids coz lie you said that is where they first learn about it. My OH smokes buthe down to less than 10/week and has promised to quit totally before baby arrives.
ATD x
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2011, 09:14 AM
I don't smoke and never have. Only my oldest child smokes, he was 18 earlier this month. Fortunately neither his 16 year old brother or 14 year old sister have shown an interest in smoking.

I did a drugs and alcohol awareness course 3 years ago and was told if they found smoking away of relaxing and destressing to let them smoke as it was far better than taking drugs or alcohol?
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by Cachapman710 View Post
I don't smoke and never have. Only my oldest child smokes, he was 18 earlier this month. Fortunately neither his 16 year old brother or 14 year old sister have shown an interest in smoking.

I did a drugs and alcohol awareness course 3 years ago and was told if they found smoking away of relaxing and destressing to let them smoke as it was far better than taking drugs or alcohol?
Yeah the problem with that theory is some of the kids do all three so their way of thinking really doesn't bear weight. I know of at least three kids I have seen around town hammered.

As much as I can get away with I try to tell them how bad it is for them to be doing this. I hate being drunk cause I know how bad I'll feel the next day, I try to get that across to the kids. My detachment commander doesn't like it cause he thinks the kids hate being lectured...I try to take the mickey and turn it into fun...but he doesn't like it.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-02-2011, 09:55 AM
Both my children smoked, (both have given up now) and neither myself or their dad have ever smoked, so they did not get it from us
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 11:04 AM
I never met my Mother-in-law because she died of lung cancer when my husband was 15 leaving him an orphan. She was a heavy smoker.

My Dad also smoked but gave up when I was young and lived to 86.

I have smoked 2 cigarrettes myself and thought they were disgusting!

Hallelujah for the smoking ban I say as my husband Jamie works in a hostel and it was horrible when he came home stinking of fags. Passive smoking has its risks too.

I guess it is a hard world for young people nowadays though with doom and gloom and difficulties of finding a job/career and not being able to afford your own home due to mega-high house prices still making homes out of reach for all except the mega-wealthy it seems.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2011, 11:12 AM
i used toi smoke but gave up nearly 5 years ago cos my kids kept on at me saying id die of cancer, went cold turkey but did it now eldest 2 16 and 17 smoke my youngest whos just turned 13 told me hes tried it but isnt smoking any more (he plays football and think he realises you cant smoke and do sports!!) and my middle one whos nearly 15 is in the army cadets and most of the cadets smoke but hes never touched it nor will he he says but hes a fitness fanatic and wants a career in the army so knows he has to be mega fit
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-02-2011, 12:26 PM
I've never smoked and my Ex was what I'd call a social smoker as he'd have one with a pint down the pub but didn't smoke at home or work etc. Neither of my sons have ever smoked either but they're both very into their sport, one still plays football twice a week and the other is into thai boxing and mixed martial arts. My OH gave up years ago but still has the odd one when feeling stressed. Both my parents smoked, my Ex's parents smoked and my OH's parents smoked, so not sure there is much of a parental influence pattern tbh.