Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
marean
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2005, 08:10 PM

Stealing toys

I'm still having problems with Harvey stealing other dogs toys and not giving them back. Have been managing the situation by taking 2 of his own balls out and throwing them for him (have to take 2 as he wont give 1 up without the other). Today he stole a rugby shaped ball from a dog and thought this was great and wasn't remotely interested in his own. Luckily after a while we ignored him and the owner of the other dog managed to grab it as he was running past. Other than buying new toys every week which I don't really want to do I'm not sure what the answer is. I've tried treats which normally he'll do anything for but not when another toy is involved. Any ideas?
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2005, 06:27 AM
Teach him that is not up to him what to play with.
Teach him to let go if he takes something he isnt allowed to.
And dont pick "fights" you cant win.

To me it sounds like he "runs the show"? Do you train him?
Does he know basic commands? Are you in charge? How old is he?
marean
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-06-2005, 07:19 AM
Harvey will be 1 year next week and yes we still go training, he knows the word 'give' and is fine doing this in the house and garden. I always throw toys after he has given them up so that he knows I'm not going to take them away from him he also does brilliant re-calls apart from when he has someone elses toy or plastic bottles that he sometimes finds. This seems to be the real sticking point, he doesn't run off with them but just stays out of reach, basically he wants to be chased and thinks this is great fun. Like I said, have been managing the situation by having 2 balls but really need him to 'give' when I say.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2005, 08:13 AM
I think just persevere. Like you, we have established give and leave it but it doesn't always work out.

We play fetch with Loki and use treats to get him to give the toy up. Sometimes we don't have to and he is torn between letting the toy go for another game of fetch or baiting us with it. Don't encourage the baiting/keeping out of reach but maybe go back to treats and encouragement and alternate with another toy. Make the other toy seem really good fun with lots of happy, squeaky voice.

Loki thinks it's a great game to pinch socks, sweatbands, hairbands, letters and show them to us while pretending to chew them, then doing a runner if we try to get them from him. It makes me laugh, I must admit, to see his cheeky little face. Rather than corner him in his bed and wrestle for possession it's better to go to his treat drawer and bargain for it. But I do make him sit first - I'm in control you know,

Have you tried, 'leave it'? Try putting treats in front of him and giving the command then releasing him after a while with, "good boy, take it." I've managed to put treats on Loki's paws and get him to leave them - never thought that would be possible as he ADORES food.
marean
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-06-2005, 09:03 AM
Thanks for that Lucky Star, I think you're probably right need to spend more time on it. Just been out this morning and he picked up a plastic milk bottle, was quite comical as the label slipped off the bottle round his nose! Anyway he decided this morning that his tennis ball was more appealing so no probs. Think I will invest in a new toy for him (well it is his birthday on Weds!) Cheers.
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2005, 06:32 AM
Sounds to me like he´s teasing you? Like he wants to play when you´ve said stop?
Havent we been there

One way to avoid this is stop giving him any attention when it happens.
Turn your back and ignore him. No more fun and playing with whatever til he hands over what he´ve got.
You of course are now way to busy with either the greatest toy ever or treats only ment for you (or so he thinks )
When seeks your attention by comming closer, tell him to sit and let go and then reward him.
IMO its important you try to throw one more toy and stops when you´ve got succes. You´re the leader and says when to play and when to stop