Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 10:29 AM

Am I being too harsh ?

My daughter can be so stubborn at times

Anyway needed a few bits and bobs from the shop and asked Luke to fetch them for me,save me taking the car out and using petrol,Lizzie then pipes up she needs some stuff for cooking tomorrow,her usual trick only she usually leaves till late on a sunday night I ask every week for her to let me know so I can get it with my shopping but she never does

So I said she could go with Luke to fetch it,she point blank refused,had the full blown attitude and mouth,so I told Luke to just get the bits I need and leave her cooking stuff.

Do you think I am been too harsh ?
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-02-2011, 10:36 AM
I don't think your being too harsh! I have a 14 year old daughter who is exactly the same!

I have to admit though, the last time she did this I ended up buying her cookery ingredients the next morning and then had to drive a 20 mile round trip to get it to school before her lesson started.

Maybe leave some money out for her and tell her to go to the shop when she is ready?

Kids!!!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 11:14 AM
No---and don't get the stuff tomorrow!

You could ring the school and let them know what has happened. She can watch the others and learn!

rune
lolly2012
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-02-2011, 11:18 AM
I agree with you Rune lol
If she feels stupid or left out in the lesson then maybe she will give her mom ample notice next time.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 12:42 PM
No, you aren't being harsh. And I agree, don't give in to her, it'll teach her that she is being out of order.

I don't know how many times I had to do this with April cause she usually asked for things to be signed or for money on the morning she needed them...and usually just as she had to leave for school. Eventually I lost the rag and refused to give her money one morning...cause it was unreasonable of her to do that at the last minute.

So she had to walk to school that morning, it's not far but at the time she was always getting the bus with her mates and was not happy at having to walk.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 01:15 PM
Thanks all,
She can be such a pain in the neck sometimes

She has just muttered,I suppose I am getting my stuff on the way to school then
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 01:18 PM
No, not harsh at all.

My biggest bug bear is kids leaving things till the last minute.Sports kit that needs washing....ingredients....forms that need to be handed back etc....

They will only learn if it impacts on them.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 01:31 PM
So are you all using negative reinforcement, or punishment to train your kids?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Do you think I am been too harsh ?
Short answer Sal - No
Long answer - why would she not want to go with her brother to the shops She is a child, she can't be allowed to throw wobblies just whenever she feels like it. Fast forward ten years and she's working in the same place as Luke and the boss tells them to both go somewhere, what she gonna do Experiences in childhood prepare kids for adult hood and going when the boss says go is one of the things that we as adults just have to do.

Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
So are you all using negative reinforcement, or punishment to train your kids?
Don't undestand one word of your reply, what is negative about saying "Go with your brother"
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 04:47 PM
She is vile sometimes,hormones and all that LOL

As for the washing they have learn't the hard way,since my dryer broke I can no longer dry there kits etc at the drop of a hat,so they do now give me some warning.