Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

12-02-2011, 04:06 PM

Do you think rescues 'charge' too much?

I was looking on a rescue site the other day, and they said they wanted a minimum donated of something like £155 - that's not far off what some people charge for 'pedigree' dogs (you often see Staff pups for £250).

So I was thinking - do you think they would rehome more if they dropped the 'price'?

I do see that having the cost set this high would ensure more serious 'buyers' but, I'm thinking that so long as the cost was fairly significant (say between £70 - £100) people would still think twice before going ahead but at the same time make those 'cheaper' pedigrees less attractive.

What do you think?

(Btw this thread is - indirectly perhaps - looking at the problem of dogs in rescues - and how to get more into homes, as opposed to people buying dogs bred in the back yard.)
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Well, if you look at it this way, when you pay (I'm going to use $'s here instead of Pounds, as I dont know how to make the pound sign on my computer LOL) say $200 for a rescue, you get a dog that is Altered, Vaccinated, Chipped/Tattoo'd, de-wormed... at an approximate price of $200 for the spay or 150 for a neuter, $60-80 for the vaccines (that's only one set, if you buy a puppy you have to pay that 3 times!), another $75 for a chip, + pay for the puppy (an unregistered purebred Lab will be around $350-$500)

I'd say a rescue is by FAR the cheapest route!
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2011, 04:24 PM
When we got Guinness we were asked for £100. It seems a lot but they have to get money somehow and it is cheaper that neutering, microchipping and vaccinating yourself.
It may put some genuine people off but at the same time it helps to stop any old dross coming and getting a dog.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2011, 04:45 PM
To me it`s a donation to help the Rescue.
I think in this society cheap = valueless. So I think £100+ is hardly exorbitant. If you have to save up to get the dog, it proves you want it.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2011, 04:49 PM
If you are struggling to find the purchase price you will struggle to pay vets bills as well.

You have a wormed, flea treated and usually neutered dog----that would cost you that much or more.

I don't think price puts the right people off at all.

rune
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2011, 04:55 PM
The minimum donation from rescue my dog was from was ninety pounds at the time but gave more(friends n family had all clubbed together to help me find a dog). I don't know if where abouts in the country effects if rescues ask for more or less depending on vet fees, micro chip etc.
Stevel
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-02-2011, 04:56 PM
My 3 dogs cost £90 insurance p.m. £45 for food (and I do not feed faddy foods just raw tripe, or any game left over plus some mixer. Add to that inoculations, worming etc. and the cost could be well be over £150.

So, no I do not think it too much. If you cannot afford the outlay how are you going to be able to pay to feed, insure and keep the dog.

Hard nosed economics sadly.

Steve
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2011, 05:12 PM
I dont think its too much either and agree if it was less then many more people would pay the money and return the dog, also its the tip of the iceberg in what the true cost is in keeping a dog fit, healthy ancd cared for as Steve says , worth every penny for me !
Duck
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-02-2011, 05:24 PM
I agree i dont think rescues charge to much as u do get a dog that is neutered, vac's chipped etc, and as people have said it would cost u more than what a rescue charges if u get a puppy. plus if u are luck some will offer so many weeks free insurance and also if u have any problems with a rescue then they are always there to help, and any responsible rescue will always take the dog back if there are any problems.
there are alot of rescues that take in breeders dogs as the breeders wont take them back if the owner has to rehome them.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2011, 05:33 PM
No, most definately not, considering the money that goes into rehoming the dog! I feel that all breeds should be the same cost, that's only fair.

I paid the £150 donation for each for mine, my 2 beautiful Akitas. Cheap! Very cheap! When you find dodgy bsb charging £500 for unwormed, unneutered Akita pups!

If people aren't prepared to pay £150 for a dog, or can't afford it then I'm sorry but how can they expect to pay for a dog for 12+ years, insurance, excess, food etc..??
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »