Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Patsi
New Member!
Female 

10-02-2011, 02:10 PM

Halifax refused entry with our dogs!

I don't lose my temper very often, but yesterday was the exception. I went, as usual, into our local Halifax and was told we couldn't take our dog in with us. We asked why and were told company policy. We asked why and were told Health & Safety. We asked why and were told for the comfort of other customers. I said that other customers always made a fuss of our dog whilst we were queueing. I pointed out that there was no food anywhere but that we always took our dog with us when we ate at our favourite cafe and she was very welcome, as are all dogs. I also told them that she gets a biscuit in our main bank.
The result is that we are closing our accounts and....they couldn't give a damn.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 03:04 PM
As a ,matter of interest, have you written to the HO for an explanation and to see if what you were told was true?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 03:22 PM
I only take mine into our bank if it is really bad weather out. I mean you made good points and if you look on the door - unless they have a sign up saying no dogs except guide dogs, then there is nothing preventing you from taking them in. The signs are put up to enforce the law, if there is no sign there is not really much of a say for the bank...IMO
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Actually that is not true. There is no "law" about where dogs may go, it is down to each individual business. Whether they put a sign up or not is up to them.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 03:45 PM
Good for you! Halifax have rubbish customer service anyway.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Actually that is not true. There is no "law" about where dogs may go, it is down to each individual business. Whether they put a sign up or not is up to them.
If they've not put a sign up then why can't dogs go in. One person of one company that you meet on the day could just be a cat person and hate the living daylights of dogs and just be being difficult. But that's my opinion. I've always said places that sell food/clothes should be the ones to keep dogs out... I mean they could use the argument that if a person allergic to dogs was to walk in then it could result into a problem, but if commonsense prevailed these days, I know for a fact that if I was allergic to dogs, I'd take a tablet..there are plenty of places to encounter dogs without having to meet them. I mean they aren't exactly an uncommon species these days.. They could use the argument that a fearful person may walk in - but then again if that was to happen, it wouldn't be too much to ask the owner to put the dog outside as there was a person afraid of dogs... I'm sure many owners would oblige to it..but they are just two sides to the argument, the bank may well have their own reasons.
Patsi
New Member!
Female 

10-02-2011, 05:34 PM
As a ,matter of interest, have you written to the HO for an explanation and to see if what you were told was true?
Got on the phone immediately and they confirmed it. There is a notice the size of a postage stamp in the window saying "assistance dogs only" and I was supposed to have read this.
I told them I was closing our accounts and they said that was my choice.
What harm is a dog in a bank/building society?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Did you ask?
Patsi
New Member!
Female 

10-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Did you ask?
Of course I did and much more! I also pointed out that in Switzerland, the cleanest country in Europe, dogs are allowed just about anywhere, shops and restaurants.
The vegetarian cafe in Grassington welcomes dogs and I have known times when every group eating there has had a dog with them....and the cafe is always spotless.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 05:58 PM
What harm is a dog in a bank/building society?
Depends who you ask. I used to live in a mostly muslim area and if I walked into the bank with Shadow the queue would disappear as if by magic. Same with buses, get on a bus with the dog and half the people on it would get off.

I've taken Rupert to the bank with me a lot, Natwest allow dogs (or at least the one nearest to me did) and he's well behaved so it's never been an issue. The only problem i can see is people not watching their dog and the dog peeing in there.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »