Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Carla0305
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-02-2011, 07:16 AM

Head Collars

A good training tool and aid to keeping you and your dog safe? Or an unnecessary and potentially cruel/damaging practice?
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 08:50 AM
Is a horse's bridle 'cruel'....?

No.

Same with headcollars for dogs - for those of us with very strong, large dogs who lunge and leap and try to bolt, sometimes a headcollar is vital.

The headcollar must be correctly fitted, must be the right size. Otherwise yes, probably uncomfortable for the dog.

Some headcollars work by tightening around the dog's head and face - so again, probably uncomfortable for the dog.

But there are several that are 'fixed action' and don't work that way - such as the Dogmatic, and the PAH headcollar (designed by George Grayson).

Vets recommend and sell headcollars, and many trainers recommend them also.

Bottom line: we have a duty of care to keep our dogs safe and also to prevent our dogs harming anyone who happens to be around us when we walk them, including nearby motorists.

I've already had one nasty accident because I cannot manage my dog when he goes beserk and lunges - I ended up face down on the floor with blood pouring from hands and knees, and my dog ended up in the road where it was a miracle he didn't get hurt.

So outside of parks/secure fields I now use a headcollar - because if I don't, I can't guarantee the safety of myself, my dog, or nearby motorists.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 09:12 AM
Are wondering about using one on your dog?
If so, please be aware you need to use it in conjunction with a flat collar and double ended lead.
You should never use it with a harness or line and it should be removed for off-lead work in case it gets caught in bushes etc.
It is a training aid, not a substitute for training.
So I suppose the answer to your question IMO is...
it depends who`s using it.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
If so, please be aware you need to use it in conjunction with a flat collar and double ended lead.
You should never use it with a harness or line and it should be removed for off-lead work in case it gets caught in bushes etc.
Can I ask why you suggest not to use it with a harness? Just curious.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 09:23 AM
I agree - if you're going to use one, use a double ended lead, attach one end to the normal collar, the other end to the headcollar. Gives you far more security.

And yes absolutely: a headcollar should be used in conjunction with regular training. Ideally as your dog progresses you can start using the headcollar less and less.

I'd also add that a headcollar can help with training - e.g. I can keep Dex a bit calmer when he has it on, and I can then praise that calmer behaviour and reinforce it.
Carla0305
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-02-2011, 09:23 AM
I use a kumfi on my boy combined with a half check. both properly fitted. He's a bouncy newfie x weimeraner whose 11 months - I think its a must with him!

The thread was purely prompted by someones comments in the e collar thread who I believed was implying that they were in some way on the same level as a shock collar.

And yes definately not as a substitute for training! Both mine have been to training classes constantly since their first jabs.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Can I ask why you suggest not to use it with a harness? Just curious.
I have no idea. I meant on it`s own.
Sorry. In my defence I`m not well and dashing off to work .
And probably suffering the early onset of senile dementia.
apologies.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I have no idea. I meant on it`s own.
Sorry. In my defence I`m not well and dashing off to work .
And probably suffering the early onset of senile dementia.
apologies.
It's OK, was just wondering if there was any particular reason! I use mine with a double ended lead with the other end on the harness (I prefer harnesses as I don't like the pressure put on their necks). My two wear Ruffwear harnesses though which are near impossible to escape, when I used regular harnesses I actually used two leads - a double ended one on the collar and harness and a seperate one for the headcollar. Alternatively I'd suggest a link between harness and collar, or headcollar and collar, just incase.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 10:09 AM
I don't think they are great to stop dgs pulling, they just mask the problem and really the dog should be trainednot to pull. However I use mine to control my reactive dog of he lunges. I can't control him on aflat collar, he is too strong and the head collar gives me control and confidence and I would currently never walk him without it. However I am still trying to train him pulling out of him by conventional methods and would never rely on a head collar just for that.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 12:17 PM
I use a headcollar for Daisy for safety reasons. I can control the sharp end if needed - in crowds and confined spaces. (She doesn`t pull).
It gives me confidence that if she kicks off no-one will get hurt. Like yesterday when some plonker ran round a corner shouting at his mate straight into us.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >