Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SibeLuver03
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-06-2005, 10:19 PM

Houdini got the chop!

Hi everyone,

I don't know if any of you remember me posting a message a couple of weeks ago asking your opinions on neutering my Siberian husky boy, Houdini. I got mixed opinions, but in the end it was my choice. And I decided that neutering him was the best choice.

And since I work at my veterinarian's hospital now, I got to watch and help Houdini with his surgery. And all went very well.

I had to clean his cage four times today! When I first brought him in, he was so excited and mad at me for putting him in a caged, he pooed in it! That wasn't a problem, I cleaned it up and put him in a fresh cage.

Then after his surgery, he peed himself so I had to wait for him to wake up so I could move him into a clean cage to clean up his pee. When I put him in his clean cage and cleaned up his pee, he had already peed in his clean cage, again!! So I moved him again and cleaned it up. I came back an hour later and he had thrown up all over himself and his cage. So everything started over again and was especially bad because he was dirty, too. But all was fine and I got everything clean again.

I was allowed to take him home the same day so I went to go get him. When I was paying my boss for his surgery, Houdini threw up again all over the floor. Right in front of the front door where people walk! So I had to clean up after him again.

In addition to Houdini's mess, a litte female dog had been spayed right before Houdini was neutered and she was doing the same thing.

All the lack of bladder control and throwing up was due to the anesthetic, of course, so I'm not worried about him.

Houdini and I have been home now for about two hours and so far no new messes to clean up. He's been sleeping the whole time! The poor boy. I wuv him!

So, send my baby boy some hugs and cuddles if you want, I'm sure he'll love it! He's such a good boy, even if he does have stinky poo and throw up!

-Tara and Houdini-
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-06-2005, 10:21 PM
Love and hugs to Houdini!! Satch knows how he feels and commiserates!

He'll be right as rain in no time.

Becs
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2005, 10:22 PM
aww get well soon houdini!
wow that must have been hard on u emotionally to watch ur dog go thru surgery? i could never do it. well done to u
SibeLuver03
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-06-2005, 10:32 PM
Nah, it wasn't hard to see. I actually enjoyed it. I'm used to watching and helping in surgeries now, I've seen quite a few. I was really proud of Houdini. It was really sweet when he was falling asleep. I sat on the floor with him and he laid in my lap and was out in no time.

It's really neat being able to see what your dog goes through. I'm glad I was there to make sure everything was going good rather than having the wait and wonder at home, not knowing what was going on. =)
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-06-2005, 10:34 PM
I'm sure Houdini will be feeling right as rain after a good sleep Then your problem will be keeping him quiet for a few days
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2005, 10:41 PM
He'll be fine in no time. Big hugs from Jake and I xxxxxxxxx
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-06-2005, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by SibeLuver03
All the lack of bladder control and throwing up was due to the anesthetic, of course,-
That happens a lot! The only time Snorri had anything like it was after his last cluster siezure (he's epileptic), and the vet knocked him out to relax his muscles and let him rest.

He didn't pee himself, but he did manage to throw up his bedtime biscuits all over me and the back seat of the car! Dealing with a flood of sick at 4 a.m. is not my idea of fun, but I sorted it, then stayed up with him all night, in case he inhaled anything.

He didn't, and now he is a fine, fit wee boy, enjoying life, and now, thankfully, free of fits for three years now.

Hmmmmmm, I think I may work on an epilepsy article............??

Snorri

bobbie3917
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2005, 12:51 AM
((hugs)) Houdin
SibeLuver03
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-06-2005, 02:30 AM
Thanks for your kind thoughts, everyone, I'll be sure to pass on the hugs and cuddles to Houdini!

Snorri, that would be a really good idea. I don't know very much about epilepsy but I'd love to learn about it.

I was thinking of doing an article over spaying and neutering. The reason is because now that I work at my vet's office, I see a lot of dogs and cats come in to be euthenized. And only because their owners are too lazy to find them homes or just don't want to take care of them. A lot of the dogs that come in are strays, too. Strays are picked up due to the leash laws in the surrounding towns. People are too lazy to contain their dogs or don't bother to even call us and try to find their dogs. It's a terrible sad thing.

That's another reason why I decided to get Houdini neutered. I don't want him to get loose from the house and find a female in season and create even more mixed breed puppies that may never find homes. *sigh*

Thanks again for your support, everyone!

-Tara
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2005, 05:30 AM
Hugs to Houdini from Luna and me

I hope he's doing much better today
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >