Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 06:30 PM

Best supplements/additions to diet for arthritis

Jago will be 7 in May and was diagnosed with arthritis in his shoulder when he was 5. He had a course of cartrophen and was on seraquin supplements from the vet. I changed his food to Skinners light and senior which contains glucosamine and chondroitin which made a huge different to him, so much so that he didn't need the seraquin anymore (seraquin is glucosamine, chondroitin and turmeric and very expensive!). He has been fine for almost 18 months but seems to be getting a little stiffer again. I'd like to nip it in the bud before he gets any worse. I've seen salmon oil suggested, green lipped mussel extract, yumove, stride etc etc I just don't know which to get! Can anyone help please?! Something friendly to my bank balance would be good too...
tiggers mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Hi salmon oil is supposed to be really good for this and I've heard that anchovy oil is even better but the trouble is that anchovy is really expensive. My neighbour uses salmon oil for her oldie and swears by it.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 07:54 PM
YUMOVE YUMOVE YUMOVE!!!!!!

Fabulous stuff!
Nugga
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-01-2011, 11:26 AM
I'm not sure what breed Jago is but my scooby (rottie) has had a cruciate operation and has arthritus, he tends to suffer more in the colder months I give him oily fish, sardines 2/3 times a week, glucosamine every day, 5 days out of 7 he has green lipped mussel and devils claw i no alot of people use this and its worked for them too
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 11:55 AM
hi

this is defo my fav... we have had such good feedback about it.

http://www.trmdog.com/stride-powder.htm
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Cetyl-M
Green Lipped Mussel
MSM
Glucosamine and Chondroitin (Chondromax from Healthspan is ace)
Vitamin C
Fish Body Oils (with Vitamin E)
Ginger
Bromelain
Rosehip
Devils Claw

I prefer to make up my own dosage rather than buy a combination remedy but each to his own.