Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 08:42 AM

Cooking rice for ill dogs?

Wormed Louie yesterday afternoon. Then came to my parent's house to stop over as I still haven't moved Doctors and I have an appointment. Stupidly forgot to tell my sister not to feed him. We then went out to see my nan - cam back asked my Dad how he was - he'd spued the whole length of the landing and hallway and two piles in the kitchen - he was alright after that - til it got to bedtime, more bile though - at about 1am we finally got back in from him been outside nearly 2 hours and he's slept through the night.

I'm going to try some brown rice and chicken with him tonight - However the last time I fed him it - it went straight through him and came out the other end just like it went in - Hmmmm pleasant topic to discuss whilst eating rice crispies!

So how do I cook the rice - I have to leave it on longer than what it says don't I?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:42 AM
yes overcook it slightly, and just boil it. hope hes better soon
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Meg was on a diet of chicken and rice for 3 weeks,I cooked her white rice,just boiled it for around 25 mins and boiled her some chicken up.
Over cooked the rice.
I waited for it to go cold before I fed it to her.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
yes overcook it slightly, and just boil it. hope hes better soon
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Meg was on a diet of chicken and rice for 3 weeks,I cooked her white rice,just boiled it for around 25 mins and boiled her some chicken up.
Over cooked the rice.
I waited for it to go cold before I fed it to her.
Thanks guys, Sal - I thought you were only supposed to give dogs Brown rice? And do you mean chicken soup or what kind of chicken?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Thanks guys, Sal - I thought you were only supposed to give dogs Brown rice? And do you mean chicken soup or what kind of chicken?
ive given mine white rice, does them no harm i dont think and i just use chicken breasts chopped up, although you can buy the diced chicken.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Yep I always use white rice,also when cooked I rinse it under the cold water tap.

I was buying the packs of chicken breasts from Tesco,3 for £10,just boiled it for around an hour.
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-01-2011, 10:24 AM
My dog can not eat rice it makes him have the SH%$

Potatos are okay though.
tiggers mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-01-2011, 10:33 AM
There are more and more dogs showing an 'intolerance' to rice, white, brown or otherwise. Maybe this is the problem. Potato would be an alternative option to go with which is more digestible.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 10:49 AM
I have always given white rice, well cooked and quickly cooled. However, I find instant mashed potato better, made up quite stiffly.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Oh buggar!

I've tried him with mash and it's made him sick before. I think I'll starve him for 24hrs then rice and chicken unless it's wise to do otherwise?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >