Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 10:14 AM

Breeding from aggressive dogs

Hi everyone-haven't been on for a few days as computer poorly and had to go away to be mended.

We go for years without meeting any Kerry owners and then last week I met 2 in one week!

I was quite annoyed by my conversation with the 2nd one as he told me he had a 7 year old bitch that he had from a puppy that was very dog-aggressive. It was ok with his 2 other dogs (Shih-ztu and JRT) but lashed out at other dogs on walks.

I said that it was a shame she was like that as Cherry too had been quite fear reactive but was much better now and Parker was a real sweetie with other dogs fortunately.

He then said he was planning to breed from his bitch and I was horrified and said it could pass this temperament on to the puppies and I had met a Kerry puppy who was not friendly and came from a Dam of the same temperament.

He then said it would not be such a problem for puppy owners as it could be changed (I thought well you've had your dog for 7 years from a puppy without it changing!) and his dog was friendly with people.

I replied that a dog like Cherry would not be something I would want to inflict on other people (as much as I dearly love and care for her-she has been a handful!) and he shouldn't be breeding from his bitch as she was too old.

I am going to contact the Kerry Blue terrier rescue and warn them as he initially asked where my dogs came from and I told him and then he said he was going to contact them about getting a dog (hmm-let me guess-male or female?).

Aren't some people's attitudes annoying though? I ended our conversation by telling him there were about 70 Kerries in rescue last year and did he want to add to that number but I think it was in one ear and out the other.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Thats sad but not surprising. Too many people still think nothing wrong in just breeding from their dog - no matter how bad the temprament
We all love our dogs and think they are the best in the world but we have to take a step back and think sensibly about it
Especially when there isnt a need for extra dogs just now
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-01-2011, 11:16 AM
My plan with Miliie when we got her was to show and hopefully breed a litter one day with the intention of keeping a pups.

But as her temperament developed over the yrs ,it become obvious that she is a nervous wreck an lives on her nerves, consequently it materialize into dog aggression.

There is no way on this earth I woudl take the chance of passing a tiny percentage of that part of her temperament on to her off springs.

As it happend her health dictated her being spayed, but even if she had stayed entire she would never have been bred from.

Sadly to many people disregard that and breed regardless of temperament

Regards the Kerry Blue, with their feisty temperament, breeding from a dog aggressive one is only going to make it worse.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
My plan with Miliie when we got her was to show and hopefully breed a litter one day with the intention of keeping a pups.

As it happend her health dictated her being spayed, but even if she had stayed entire she would never have been bred from.

Same with Meg,
She was brought in to be a pet but to be our foundation bitch,shown with a view to breeding a nice litter from her,to keep a puppy back,she was struck down with pyo and ended up been spayed.
She is also DA,out of fear the same as your Millie,but Megs fear is out of been bitten and attcked countless times,which has esculated into DA so even if she had still been entire I would have had her spayed and not bred from her anyway.

Too many people think they can breed regardless of the dogs temperament, history etc and least you tried to stop him but if they are determined to breed,nothing will stop them sadly.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

But as her temperament developed over the yrs ,it become obvious that she is a nervous wreck an lives on her nerves, consequently it materialize into dog aggression.

There is no way on this earth I woudl take the chance of passing a tiny percentage of that part of her temperament on to her off springs.

Regards the Kerry Blue, with their feisty temperament, breeding from a dog aggressive one is only going to make it worse.
With regard to the last comment -you haven't met Parker-he is not at all feisty-lovely nature and best social skills you ever saw with other dogs. Wasn't me that just said this but our agility class trainer.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
With regard to the last comment -you haven't met Parker-he is not at all feisty-lovely nature and best social skills you ever saw with other dogs. Wasn't me that just said this but our agility class trainer.
My comment was not meant to upset you.

It is simply based on talking in length to a few breeders at Crufts last yr of the KB, ALL in unison said the same thing, the breed is feisty, and in many cases intolerent of other dogs.
Borderpower
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2011, 11:15 AM
So very wrong to breed from aggressive dog.
On another note the bitch is 7 years old, thats actully retiring age for breeding , well between 6 and 7, I would be concerned as well on the health of the bitch. Some people have NO IDEA!!!!!!!!!! makes me mad.