Our sister sites
Our sister sites
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2005, 09:37 AM

having the chop!

Hello All

I would like comments on dogs having the chop (ouch!).

The vet has told us to have Otis castrated (sp) if we are not intending to use him as a stud dog as it would be better for his health and would calm him down. (otis is 5 months old and the vet said to have it done at about 6 months)

My other half said fine lets get him done but im still unsure.

As Otis is our very first dog, i am quite sure we will not show him as we have so much to learn about the breed. Secondly, i don't think i will stud him as i just want him as a pet.

But i feel so bad making him have an operation.

If i do decide to go ahead with it can anyone advise me on how quickly he will recover and what to expect. I would want to be at home all the time with him so how long would you advise to take off work?

Any other opinions please feel free to say.

Jodie
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-06-2005, 09:57 AM
Murphy had to be done because he was passing blood and it turned out to be a tumour on his testicle. Now he was a lot older than otis, but IMO if you have no reason for them to be left they are better removed to save complications like Murphy's. I believe six months is the recommended age though.

What to expect? A phone call to go and pick your staffy up early because he's being a pain in the a... after waking up for the anesthetic (Murphy and Saffy both had to come home early, Staffs don't like anesthetics in general). This is followed by around 24 hours of a woozy dog. If he tries to get at the stitches you may have to put a Elizabethan collar (the lampshade thing ) on him. The stitches are removed after about 10 days (they may use disolvable ones). He can't be allowed to do anything strenuous that may damage the stitch or stitch area (no jumping etc.). Ideally get it done when you can be with him for the first 48 hours to comfort him. Because of the anesthetic he may have a sore throat and have trouble drinking. Keep an eye on his drinking to ensure he is getting at least some water. He should be back to normal after a couple of days and back to full health after 2-3 weeks.

We didn't notice any change in Murphy after he had it done.

If you're not showing him or using him to sire then I would have no hesitation in getting it done. There is a risk with any operation but there is a danger of complications later if it isn't done.

BTW. if you have him done at that age he will probably always squat to pee rather than lift his leg.

Graeme
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2005, 10:10 AM
Thanks Graeme xxxxxx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-06-2005, 10:15 AM
Otis , this may be of help to you

Carole
Supervisor

27-06-2005, 10:19 AM
this is something we will be thinking about soon Finn is the first male we have had in the family so its all new to us. We were planning to wait until Finn had stopped growing probably at over a year old.
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 10:41 AM
I got Jake neutered when he was 17 months old. He got over the operation really quickly and seemed non the wiser. I however worried myself sick over nothing

So if you do decide to go ahead with the op don't worry. It is a much more simple operation for boys, whereas the poor girls have a lot more to cope with.
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 10:45 AM
I had buds donr at 6 months, mainly cos we have candy and daisy still entire and he was fine and has grown and developed perfectly, well im most areas anyway!!lol
Ruthlynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 11:15 AM
Murphy was done at 7 months, because we weren't going to use him at stud, he wa s pet, don't show and labs tend to 'like the ladies'.....a lot! He's a big lab and when he was younger he was too powerful for me to take to training, used to pull me over trying to get to the other dogs!
He's still powerful, still pulls me over, still likes the ladies! but is very laid back for a lab. Hasn't had any problems with dogs thinking he smells like a bitch on heat, as I've read on other boards Fraid I can't agree with that theory from a medical, physiological point of view anyway.
He recovered quickly, no problems at all.

TTFN
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

27-06-2005, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by Carole
this is something we will be thinking about soon Finn is the first male we have had in the family so its all new to us. We were planning to wait until Finn had stopped growing probably at over a year old.
Yes, leave it as long as possible (bearable ) Carole. Around 12 months should be ideal as any testosterone-induced behaviour should not have become 'learned' behaviour at that age. Remember that it can take 6+ months for the effects of the hormones to diminish and clear from the body.
Carole
Supervisor

27-06-2005, 11:29 AM
thanks SB will no doubt have loads of questions when the time comes.

I had no idea it look 6+ months for the hormones to clear
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »