Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2011, 11:42 AM

Is it supposed to do that?

Hey guys,

I think you'll remember me asking about pulling solutions for Louie - well I decided to go for a non pull harness. So I bought him a cheap harness and used his old one to attach an extra O ring to the front - to make it for a double lead.

I don't know whether I've put it too low down or not but I've moved it from where I originally placed it as the lead kept rubbing on his leg. It still does it although I've moved it - is it supposed to do that?

(P.S this is just a trial one so when I can - I can get him a proper non pull harness)
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I don't know whether I've put it too low down or not but I've moved it from where I originally placed it as the lead kept rubbing on his leg. It still does it although I've moved it - is it supposed to do that?
No parts of a harness or lead should rub
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2011, 12:10 PM
I think it would depend a lot on the shape of the dog - I know several people have said the Mekuti harnesses with two rings have rubbed their dogs sore whereas others have had good success.
Could you maybe get a photo of Louie in the harness and people can give suggestions of where to put the O-ring/why it's rubbing?
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2011, 08:21 PM
No, ideally a harness should never rub nor irritate any part of a dog's body.

You may find, as I have, that finding the best harness or headcollar to stop pulling is very much a case of trial and error.

On this site DOBERMANN very kindly found a link for me to the place where he got a harness some time back, it's the 'Complete Control Harness', and I'll repost the link here for you in case it's of any help. I'm about to start using the harness this week, fingers crossed

http://www.kumfi.com/index.php?page=...emart&Itemid=8
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I think it would depend a lot on the shape of the dog - I know several people have said the Mekuti harnesses with two rings have rubbed their dogs sore whereas others have had good success.
Could you maybe get a photo of Louie in the harness and people can give suggestions of where to put the O-ring/why it's rubbing?
I'll do that tomorrow - he's not a fan of harnesses and runs when he sees it - dunno why but if I use a head collar he rubs his nose on the floor so harness it is - I'd rather he sulk for 10 minutes after it's been put on than hurt his nose - I've given him treats and introduced it and played with him whilst he's worn it - I've just given up and let him tantrum - I don't ever chase him with it though - he has to come to me..anyway that aside - I'll do that tomorrow.

I think it may be because he's still sort of in front of me so the lead is rubbing his leg as he is in front of me - although I have to admit, it annoys me that it sometimes rubs him - it's not that bad that fur is coming off or he's sore on his leg but it has sorted his pulling and I can handle him a lot easier now - I'm not getting dragged everywhere - although he can pull me to a side if he puts himself into it.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 11:58 AM

Right it's sat a little low cos he's sat down but it's normally higher than that - it's a little loose atm..

The bottom big O ring is the one I added - is it too low?