Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

20-12-2010, 02:25 PM

Snowed in - what to cook?

Today is my weekly shopping day, but it's snowing and looking at the cameras on the BBC website, the roads are not good to drive on.. so, what to eat?

As many of you know all I have a restrictive diet, and I'm pretty much out of fresh veg - which I practically live off these days (although I do have some broccoli and cabbage lol) so I've found some rice etc and wondered what you guys would do with the following?

Wholegrain rice
Lentils
Yellow split peas
Pack of mixed beans (but they need to be soaked)
Onions
Frozen veg
Cabbage
Broccoli
Tins tomatoes
Various spices
Frozen cod
Chicken leg x 1
Chicken thighs x 2

I also have some other stuff like cous cous and wholegrain spaghetti - but I'm trying to stay off gluten.

So what would you guys rustle up?

I'm thinking fry some onions, add the cabbage and broccoli (or maybe frozen veg and keep the fresh veg for tomorrow) part boil some rice and then add it to the pan - a bit like a risotto? (which herbs n spices to add tho or just salt n pepper ok?) Should I add half a tin of toms? Or will it be ok without? I wish I was a good cook lol!

What do you reckon? Please give me some ideas before I waste away
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2010, 02:32 PM
Maybe a lentil bolognese, served on rice?
http://www.frugal-living-tips.com/lentil-bolognese.html
Azz
Administrator
Male 

20-12-2010, 02:46 PM
Have you made it before? What's it like?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Nope, sorry
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2010, 03:23 PM
A huge pan of broth with the lentils and veg...
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2010, 03:44 PM
As you have the chicken legs/thighs, I'd do a chicken cacciatore type thing using most of the ingredients in a crockpot.
Tinglesnark
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-12-2010, 04:01 PM
make a casserole with the chicken and veg. add some lentils too
if you have any atora and plain flour, make up some dumplings and away you go
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Just got these recipes from a friend ok you won't have everything but maybe inspire you

BENGALI HOME-STYLE COOKING RECIPE

(with less oil & balanced used of fresh spices)

MUSUR DAL (RED SPLIT LENTIL) :-. Fry Onions (optional) lightly and also lightly fry Kalo Jeera (black cumin). Put haldi (turmeric) in the boiled lentil.. Put green chillies and salt to taste. No jeera needed.

Little Oil / butter (half tea spoon or less)àheat up àKalojira (Black cumin) or Panchforan àfry lightly for 2—3 minutes à then add Garlic (optional but better for good taste) + Onion (optional but better for good taste) àfry lightly for 3— 4 minutes.

Dal (split red lentil) to be boiled separately in Pressure Cooker, before boiling add water 2 cups (can vary acc. to thickness that you would like) + little salt (optional to taste) + little turmeric powder, also can add a sliced tomato (optional, but must if you are not giving onion and garlic)à pressure city à OFF the burner à Keep lid covered for 4-5 minutes à then don’t open the lid but just get off the steam.

ALOO POSTO (POTATO & POPPY SEED) :-

Keep potatoes (to be cut in cubes, skinless)+ Salt (little, optional) + little turmeric à marianate for 30 mins. Grind the poppy seed and add quarter cup of water and make a paste (make it uniformly soluble).

Heat little oil à add Panchforan àpour the marinated potatoesà fry for 3—4 minutes àthen pour the poppy-seed paste à fry for another 3—4 minutes(make sure to stir often). Then put water and simmer. Make a thick gravy.

DUM ALOO (POTATO CURRY) :- Keep potatoes (to be cut in cubes,skinless)+ Salt (little,optional) + Turmeric à marinate for 30 mins. Heat little oil à add black cumin and panchforan àfry for 2—3 minutes à add a sliced tomato àpour the marinated potatoesà fry for 3—4 minutes (make sure to stir often) àthen put little water and simmer. Make a thick gravy.

EGG CURRY :- Keep potatoes (to be cut in small cubes, skinless)+ Salt (little, optional) + turmeric + hard boiled eggs à marinate for 30 mins. Heat little oil à add 2--3 crushed (better) or split small portion of cinnamon and crushed (better) or split 1-2 small sticks of cardamom àfry for 2 minutes à low fire à then add sliced/diced onion, crushed or chopped garlic and ginger, can add little cumin powder optional à fry for 4 –5 minutes à add one or two sliced tomato or tomato puree/paste à keep frying in low heat à (make sure to stir often) àcontinue frying for another 3 –4 minutes à then pour the marinated potatoes and eggs à fry for 3—4 minutes (make sure to stir often) àthen put little water and simmer. Make a thick gravy.

CHICKEN CURRY :- Keep potatoes (to be cut in small cubes, skinless)+ Salt (little, optional) + turmeric + pieces of chicken à marinate for 30 mins. Heat little oil à add 2--3 crushed (better) or split small portion of cinnamon and crushed (better) or split 1-2 small sticks of cardamom àfry for 2 minutes à low fire à then add sliced/diced onion, crushed or chopped garlic and ginger, add little cumin powder and coriander powder à fry for 5 – 10 minutes à add one or two sliced tomato or tomato puree/paste à keep frying in low heat à (make sure to stir often) àcontinue frying for another 5 – 10 minutes à then pour the marinated potatoes and chicken à fry in low heat for 10 - 15 minutes (make sure to stir often and keep adding few table spoons of hot water, so that the masala do not get burned but looks like a thick gravy) à then add a little more hot water and simmer (to make sure chicken and potatoes are done).

KICHURI (RICE & DAL MIX ) :- For 2 persons

Rice 1 cup; Musur dal (split red lentil) ½ cup; Mug dal (split yellow lentil) ½ cup; if not available, then put another ½ cup of split red lentil (1:1 :: rice & lentil); Panch foron 1 / 2 tsp; Onion 2 pcs.(sliced/diced); Ginger (paste) 1 tsp; Garlic (paste) 1 tsp.; Potatoes (skinless in halves) + Vegetables (cubes of Cauliflower; little Peas; few Shallots; Beans etc); Turmeric 1 tsp.; Salt (optional, to taste); Cumin (powder) 2 tsp; Butter 1 tsp. and Oil.

1) Mug dal (split yellow lentil) to be fried (without oil) in dry karai up to redish colour (4—6 minutes);

2) Rice + mug dal + musur dal to be washed in water.

3) Heat 4 tsp of oil à after oil is heated à put panchforon, garlic, onion, ginger à altogether and fry cook upto redish colour (6—8 minutes).

4) After that add washed rice & dals on it à add 4 cups of water à also add little turmeric, cumin powder and salt à then add all the vegetables à Boil till the rice is done.

5) Sprinkle little butter on top before serving.

* All Indian foods does not mean Curry !

INDIAN SPICES :

(1) Turmeric Powder, (2) Cumin Powder, (3) Whole Cumin (Jeera), (4) Black Cumin (Kalo Jeera), (5) Panch Foran (Mixed Fresh Herbs), (6) Small Cinnamon (Chota Elachi), Cardamon (Darchini), etc.