Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 04:04 PM

Right guys help me out...

im currently not working at the minute... however i know what i want to do.

i really really want my own groomers. i did originally want my own kennels but i have seen how much it ties you down, where as a groomers give you more flexibility.

ive done an animal care course at college, a national award in animal care and management which i passed with distinction.

im now looking for work, but id really want my own grooming parlour. there are only three in macclesfield, and two of them dont do very well (theyre just not good)

ive looked into some course but i just dont know what i am looking for, there are some that are 7 days and some that are 40. also there is a huge variant in prices.

also there are different qualifications and im confused as to what a groomer should have.

i have read a lot of grooming books, and know basic grooming bathing skills. i prepare my dogs, have handstripped terriers before, and i can use clippers.

ive heard of a trust that prince charles does which offers £5000 to people under 25 who want to start their own business.

i just wondered if any of you can help? what courses should i look into and is there any funding i can get?

thanks in advance
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Not a lot of help, but if its the princes trust you are thinking of (http://www.princes-trust.org.uk/need...nt_awards.aspx) they offer awards of up to £500.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 07:24 PM
I cannot help, but wish you every success in what could be a very worthwhile and enjoyable career.

I would just add though, it might be advisable to do some in depth research regarding the area that you will be targeting - if there are already groomers out there who are struggling, then even if they are not of a high standard it may mean that the market is just not available.

Having researched thoroughly, and identified a profitable market, then that is the time to invest in training. Otherwise you may be seriously out of pocket.

Sorry to be slightly less than totally encouraging, but it is really very important to make sure that the business is out there.