View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rubythebeagle
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-12-2010, 05:26 PM

Grrrrrrr Poo eating, REALLY fed up with it now!!!!!

Well as the title says Ruby is a poo eater, she always has been ever since i got her at 8 weeks, she is now 16 months and she still does it!

I tried putting pineapple in her food and it made no difference, she is fed on Arden Grange, as this is a good quality dog food i would have thought she is getting all the right nutrients etc.

I always clear up as soon as she goes there are never poos left in my garden, she is so determined to eat it that if i linger over her she will keep moving away so as while im picking up one bit she will do another and eat it. If i wait by the door so as she does it all in one spot she has just enough time to get it before i get to her. When she does go for it i yell at her but she just runs of in the corner and eats it. And then of course there are the times when im doing 101 things in the house, let her out then she comes in with the obvious smell lingering.

She also digs in the garden to find cat poo aswell! Just today she has dug up and got cat poo first thing this morning, then she has eaten 3 poos of her own.

This is really winding me up now, its got to the point that i wont let her anywhere near me or my son because she constantly stinks of the stuff, which isnt pleasent when you are sitting on the sofa and she comes up and licks you.

I know lots of dogs do it, and i know it does then no harm,i was really hoping she would grow out of it. Is there anything else i could try?? I really am stressed about it at the moment and im sure Ruby is picking up on this.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2010, 05:43 PM
I had to get a plastic muzzle for one of my whippets to wear as she was constntly eating poo .
She then stuck the muzzle into the poo and continued to eat it anyway !
So I put tape round the end of the muzzle to stop her doing this .
Seemed a bit harsh but it had to be stopped as she was always getting diarrhoea with the constant poo eating .
I did this for a few weeks and now she only eats the occasional one so the muzzle seemed to have broken the habit .
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Just ignore it..... I do.....
rubythebeagle
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
I had to get a plastic muzzle for one of my whippets to wear as she was constntly eating poo .
She then stuck the muzzle into the poo and continued to eat it anyway !
So I put tape round the end of the muzzle to stop her doing this .
Seemed a bit harsh but it had to be stopped as she was always getting diarrhoea with the constant poo eating .
I did this for a few weeks and now she only eats the occasional one so the muzzle seemed to have broken the habit .
How do you mean, you put tape round the end? I agree Ruby would just try and get to it anyway and just end up with a pooey muzzle!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post

Or teach a solid leave it command.
In my epxerience(having had several poop eaters...) you need to break the cycle by being extremely vigilant. Don't let her out without you and always have a bag on your hand at the ready!!! Once you break the cycle they don't do it as much...until they eat a raw carrot and need to redigest it.....
rubythebeagle
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
I do try and ignore it, but she is a very licky playful dog and when she licks my son and he ends up smelling off it, i cant ignore my 6 year old smelling of dog poo

Its hot steaming fresh poo....not pleasent at all.
rubythebeagle
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post

Or teach a solid leave it command.
In my epxerience(having had several poop eaters...) you need to break the cycle by being extremely vigilant. Don't let her out without you and always have a bag on your hand at the ready!!! Once you break the cycle they don't do it as much...until they eat a raw carrot and need to redigest it.....
Leave it doesn't work, she knows leave it and is pretty good with it but when it comes to poo she goes deaf.

98% of the time i am there with my bag in hand, in the snow in the rain in the dark, but as i said she is so determined that if im lingering she drops in stages so she at least gets a bit.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by rubythebeagle View Post
Leave it doesn't work, she knows leave it and is pretty good with it but when it comes to poo she goes deaf.

98% of the time i am there with my bag in hand, in the snow in the rain in the dark, but as i said she is so determined that if im lingering she drops in stages so she at least gets a bit.
you need to be bent over waiting for it to drop.... I know I have a determined boy who poos in a circle
rubythebeagle
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
you need to be bent over waiting for it to drop.... I know I have a determined boy who poos in a circle
I swear Ruby can almost catch it in her mouth on the way down

Well i will as ever keep standing there seeing who will win the contest, still looking for the miracle cure though
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-12-2010, 06:12 PM
There was a recentish thread about using spray collars for this behaviour. I don't generally use spray collars but they seem effective for this behaviour.

Adam
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >