View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-12-2010, 05:02 PM

My friend just got a puppy... Oh dear...

I'm really not sure it was a good idea!

She's 21 and very used to getting her own way (has a bit of only child syndrome going on...), she lives in a council house with her 2 year old son but relies on her mum for a lot of help (her mum collects and does all of her washing for her!). Now, she's a very capable mother and a great friend so don't get me wrong! But I don't think she realises the new role she has taken on getting this pup and am terrified that it will all go wrong and she'll give the pup up...

It's a little husky and is adorable going by the pics she's put up and I'm just hoping she's done the research into this breed and knows how much work she's going to have to put into the training etc. I know her really well and once she's got an idea into her head it's hard to convince her otherwise! See, I think the idea of a puppy came from Kia and one of my other friends has a pointer. But both I and my other friend have put a lot of effort into the training of our dogs and I'm not convinced she'll have the time or patience... Especially with work and running after her wee boy!

I may have got it all wrong and she'll be brilliant! Infact, I hope she is! But I have my concerns... I just hope this little pup doesn't suffer because of my friend purchasing a dog on a whim...

So now I'm torn about what to do...? I have a few training books I think I'll give her... And I can offer her advice that worked for me... Another option I'm toying with is to suggest she joins Dogsey! Better for her to have somewhere like this to ask for advice than for her to pick up on some dodgy techniques from the internet...

In the end it's not really my place to say anything though is it? I just have to hope that my concerns don't materialise and she becomes a good responsible dog owner in her own time Fingers crossed!

xoxox
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Just be supportive. We all have to start somewhere.
Good idea about the puppy books - why not one with pictures so she can show her child?
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Well by the time I was 21 I had two dogs and a child I did just fine.
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Just be supportive. We all have to start somewhere.
Good idea about the puppy books - why not one with pictures so she can show her child?
I know we all have to start somewhere, Kia is my first dog and I know I've made mistakes with her! I really can't judge We live and learn And I'm sure she'll be fine... It's just my gut reaction to the news! Especially it being a sibe and my knowledge of them coming from the stories on here!

Originally Posted by lotsforus View Post
Well by the time I was 21 I had two dogs and a child I did just fine.
I'm not saying she won't be fine... I am willing to eat my words and be proved totally wrong! I hope I am, I really do! As I said, the post was just my gut reaction to the news based on me knowing what she's like! I meant no offence to people in that situation - I'm speaking only based on her as an individual and as I said, I may be totally wrong!

xoxox
Tinglesnark
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-12-2010, 06:22 PM
i had a rescue dog that i saved at the age of 14. i went on to have 2 babies (at 24) and had a siamese cat and now i have a lab pup, 2 under 5's and that same siamese cat....everyone keeps telling me that Delilah is a whim and that i wont manage or have the time to train her properly or look after her....

Support her and try not to judge her you dont have to be middleaged with no small children, living in your own home to be a responsible adult able to train and care for a pup

x
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by Tinglesnark View Post
i had a rescue dog that i saved at the age of 14. i went on to have 2 babies (at 24) and had a siamese cat and now i have a lab pup, 2 under 5's and that same siamese cat....everyone keeps telling me that Delilah is a whim and that i wont manage or have the time to train her properly or look after her....

Support her and try not to judge her you dont have to be middleaged with no small children, living in your own home to be a responsible adult able to train and care for a pup

x
She has my full support and will be getting my puppy training books if I can find them in all my boxes! And I am venting all my concerns on here so I can hear success stories such as yourself! As I said, I know I've made some mistakes with my Kia so I can't really be one to judge anyway!!

I know she can do it if she puts her mind to it. Her little boy is a total gem!

xoxox
Tinglesnark
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-12-2010, 06:42 PM
fab it wont be easy for her but i suspect she is trying to create a little family unit for her boy. a friend like you will be an asset
Jadey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-12-2010, 09:44 PM
People thought i couldn't handle a puppy as i had just moved out of my parents so learning to live on my own and 'only 19', i worked and OH works away.

But i think my pup is turning out fine, i spend at least 2 hours a day playing and training him then he also gets one longer walk a day and gets to play on this small enclosed abandoned children's play area 3 times a day with his ball.

Obviously could be different if i had a child as well lol
I think by giving your friend the training books and your support and advice she should be fine, as you said she's got a lovely 2 year old so she's managed that

I have a friend who wants a puppy when i know she wouldn't be able to look after it and it would be given away at some point (she would probably try to get me to take it ).
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah88 View Post
In the end it's not really my place to say anything though is it?
Don't agree, you say you've learned from your experience, made a few mistakes but corrected them, so you do have something to give to her.

People don't like being told what to do but if you offer support, make reference to the good things in those books (Hope you find them BTW) and encourage her it may well work out.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Good luck to her and hope she does well , its not easy managing a child and then to add a pup increases the pressure but if she is a capable lady and will listen and take advice I am sure she could do well and enjoy her new doggie, I am sure you will be a good mate and help her to have fun with the new pup
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >