Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2005, 10:08 AM

Mud and bath

On our walk this morning we met a lovely man with a lovely friendly dog and the two dogs had a great time, chasing each other around. BUT the dog led Loki into what can only be described as a quagmire.

OMG he came out BLACK! Still, he looked so happy I laughed. Managed to get him home in the car (which has a puncture and the grill fell off ) and tried to clean him off in the garden, but this stuff is like tar. So, got him into the house and he refused to get into the bath. I can't lift him and wouldn't anyway as there was mud EVERYWHERE.

Now I've cleaned the carpets (everywhere he's been) he is out in the garden.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

How do you bath a big dog outside? Do you buy a baby bath or something?
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2005, 10:10 AM
ooh, a difficult one! Don't know, can you not set the hose up somewhere so you don't have to hold it and get a scrubber on him? lol

Good luck! Let me know how you get on! Dalmatians get big I'd be interested to now how you do it for when I need to! lol
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2005, 10:28 AM
aww bless you lucky star what a day you have had,loki seemed to of enjoyed his day playing and getting stinking dirty,ive not had to go through that yet my boys getting dirty,im prepared though i have bought a cheap paddling pool,with the old bitch when she got dirty we used to bath her in a paddling pool fill bowls of warm water fill the pool and put her in and then washed her down did the job
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2005, 10:29 AM
I bathed Teagan outside...
I Tied her up, and filled a bucket with soapy water (dog shampoo), and got a big sponge used for washing cars!
I washed her with that, then filled the bucket with warm water and washed the soap off, then rinsed her with the hose pipe!
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2005, 10:30 AM
Hi Loki's mum

When I had a wee corgi many years ago we used a large tub - similar to the galvanised tubs with the handles that you can get in the UK - I think they get used for beer tubs over here.

But we found that to be brilliant - although we got as much suds on ourselves as Abbie our corgi did

That's half the fun I guess
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Thanks guys - he is looking better now after my pathetic efforts. Some great ideas there, guess I'd best go shopping. Here are some photos of him looking a bit better.

I just know when I hide my head she can't see me.

Busted! What's the problem Mum? Looking gooooood.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2005, 10:42 AM
aww loki looks so handsome now after his wash gorgeous dog untill next time
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2005, 10:43 AM
Hmm, yep I know that kind of mud very well!! My two found some in the forest last week, they got hot and it somehow resembled water to them, it was a gross stagnent thick black mud puddle and they ran straight up to it, jumped in the middle and started wallowing like hippo's in it.

It's definitly not the first time they have gotten caked in this type of mud either...

Last time we were by the sea and the tide had gone out they ran out into the mud along way and Keena decided to roll him all around in it, that is the worst type of mud ever, from the bottom of the sea, black green and stagnent and stinks!

It has happened a bizzillion and one times...

In the past I have just hossed them down outside till they are as clean as I can get them and even though they look like it hasn't all come clean by the time they dry it is normally gone, I find their coats are excellent at getting rid of dirt.

...Normally no shampoo is needed but I think if it was in this heat, I would give them an outdoor bath, rather then get them in the tub, Takoda must weigh near on 80lb now as he is getting huge and I can still lift him etc but I would rather save the mess indoors if it is warm outside!

I would just get a hose get him all soaked through put the hose down lather him up and rinse!...Have him wear his collar and lead and attatch the lead to something or he will only be getting muckier when he runs off going loony all around the yard!...If you don't have a hose attatchment your other options could be to fill up some kinda tub outdoors wash him in there and rinse him with buckets of fresh water.

Have fun!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2005, 10:45 AM
:smt043 :smt043 :smt043
at the thought of all these dogs being hosed down. We don't actually own a hose - will a watering can do?
Or I could just leave him out in the rain when it comes?
Only joking.
I find the carpet is pretty good at getting mud off.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2005, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by myschievous
Hmm, yep I know that kind of mud very well!! My two found some in the forest last week, they got hot and it somehow resembled water to them, it was a gross stagnent thick black mud puddle and they ran straight up to it, jumped in the middle and started wallowing like hippo's in it.

It's definitly not the first time they have gotten caked in this type of mud either...

Last time we were by the sea and the tide had gone out they ran out into the mud along way and Keena decided to roll him all around in it, that is the worst type of mud ever, from the bottom of the sea, black green and stagnent and stinks!

It has happened a bizzillion and one times...

In the past I have just hossed them down outside till they are as clean as I can get them and even though they look like it hasn't all come clean by the time they dry it is normally gone, I find their coats are excellent at getting rid of dirt.

...Normally no shampoo is needed but I think if it was in this heat, I would give them an outdoor bath, rather then get them in the tub, Takoda must weigh near on 80lb now as he is getting huge and I can still lift him etc but I would rather save the mess indoors if it is warm outside!

I would just get a hose get him all soaked through put the hose down lather him up and rinse!...Have him wear his collar and lead and attatch the lead to something or he will only be getting muckier when he runs off going loony all around the yard!...If you don't have a hose attatchment your other options could be to fill up some kinda tub outdoors wash him in there and rinse him with buckets of fresh water.

Have fun!

80 lbs!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >