Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2010, 09:05 PM

Whats your story?

After answering a question on another thread, I got thinking as to how we aquired our dogs.

So Sadie - is my neighbours, but after walking her for 8 years she's just as much mine (it is agreed ) so basically I havent really aquired her.

Benjie - my OH's parents thought that he was old enough for the responisblilty so they went along to the RSPCA in chesterfield and aquired Benjie there. I got with my OH and now he is my dog also (although I dont class him as mine - he has issues with me for some unknown reason)

Louie - Whilst on holiday in Mablethorpe - I gave my ring to my OH to save whilst I went in the sea with Sadie and Benjie, he lost it whilst dusting sand off his legs - couldnt find it in the sand, the next day we were driving to Skeggy and came across a farm with Springer x Lab pups, we went in just to look (I'm used to just looking - I wasnt allowed my own dog with my Dad) Adie fell in love with the biggest pup in the litter and three weeks later we picked him up.

So what made you get the dog you have now? (I dont mean made as in forced - you know what I mean)

Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Teg was owned by a friend who didn't walk or clean him out (he lived outside). I started taking him walks, agility and obedience classes so he had something to do other than spin in circles.

November last year I moved into a rented house that would let me have a dog so in January I asked if I could have Teg and he said yes!!

He is now extremely spoilt compared to how he was and is loved to bits by me and my family (even if dad does get a little jealous that mum talks to Teg nicer than she does to him )
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Tegs_mum View Post
Teg was owned by a friend who didn't walk or clean him out (he lived outside). I started taking him walks, agility and obedience classes so he had something to do other than spin in circles.

November last year I moved into a rented house that would let me have a dog so in January I asked if I could have Teg and he said yes!!

He is now extremely spoilt compared to how he was and is loved to bits by me and my family (even if dad does get a little jealous that mum talks to Teg nicer than she does to him )
Thats such a sweet story - we'll be taking on a BC soon-ish because of the same reason except a little worse.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Flinty I got because my lovely girl Sophie had to be PTS and the oppertunity arised when my dads friend showed me his puppy, he was sooo cute and he then told me that his brother was available, unwanted pup in the litter and future was very unknown...needless to say he came home with me

Simba we got because me and my partner were together and were planning on moving out, we felt Flint would be very loenly without his friend Bessie so we got Simba for that reason really
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Tom was a stray who I rescued and he is just fab and took him home after many months of looking for the right dog. ! I wanted a 2nd dog my family didnt but I persevered ! Tom chose Bella it was love at first sight for his wifey !

Bella is a retired grey who is settling in well and is just lovely, my OH didnt grow up with dogs and I did but now he is well and truly converted ! he is softer than me with them !
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by TomtheLurcher View Post
Tom was a stray who I rescued and he is just fab and took him home after many months of looking for the right dog. ! I wanted a 2nd dog my family didnt but I persevered ! Tom chose Bella it was love at first sight for his wifey !

Bella is a retired grey who is settling in well and is just lovely, my OH didnt grow up with dogs and I did but now he is well and truly converted ! he is softer than me with them !
Usually the case I am the diciplinarian (sp) The bad guy really - well someone has to be!
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-11-2010, 10:28 PM
I have known Skye and Shiloh's parents for ten years (can't believe it's that long, or Tilly and Bennie so old!), and every year I went to visit the farm and saw the current litter of pups.

Every year I fell in love but could not bring a puppy home.

When I went to do some work experience during lambing time on this same farm in 2009, I knew Tilly was pregnant, and watched her stay back more and more when we went out to check the sheep. On the last week I was there Tilly gave birth and I picked my puppy, Skye.

Shiloh I got 7 months later, Skye had such a big following that I kept in close contact and a lady on another farm who wanted to keep Skye had a pup from the next (unplanned) litter. I went with her to visit the pups, and sure enough, couldn't help but fall for a puppy again. We picked Shiloh up a year ago and he's been brilliant company for Skye. Before him, Skye often refused to eat and I had to hand-feed her every meal, she was 6kg at 7 months old (she's now 17kg and not overweight) and the vets thought she had a porto-systemic shunt.
As soon as Shiloh came home she started eating reliably and now you can't stop her. Best decision of my life!

Then Kev decided he would like another rottweiler, he had one as a teenager and had to give him up when he went to college full-time. We went to a few rescue centres but there weren't any dogs that would fit in with Skye and Shiloh, so we travelled up to Manchester to see some rott x GSD puppies and meet their parents. The Mum and Dad were gorgeous dogs, so friendly and trusting and steady, so we brought Ruby home that day.

We first saw Bear back in August on work experience at a local kennels, and he was such a sorry boy. After hearing his story I fell in love and Kev brought him home as a surprise a fortnight later.
Unfortunately, Bear doesn't like living with other dogs though and we think it's exacerbating his health problems so we are now seriously considering rehoming through the PMDC rescue.

Now knowing that we could manage 4 dogs, I am seriously tempted to offer a foster placement for another rescue if and when Bear goes to a new home and when our own have settled again, but we'll see .... we'll be sure to let our dogs choose this one.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2010, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki_Ann View Post
I have known Skye and Shiloh's parents for ten years (can't believe it's that long, or Tilly and Bennie so old!), and every year I went to visit the farm and saw the current litter of pups.

Every year I fell in love but could not bring a puppy home.

When I went to do some work experience during lambing time on this same farm in 2009, I knew Tilly was pregnant, and watched her stay back more and more when we went out to check the sheep. On the last week I was there Tilly gave birth and I picked my puppy, Skye.

Shiloh I got 7 months later, Skye had such a big following that I kept in close contact and a lady on another farm who wanted to keep Skye had a pup from the next (unplanned) litter. I went with her to visit the pups, and sure enough, couldn't help but fall for a puppy again. We picked Shiloh up a year ago and he's been brilliant company for Skye. Before him, Skye often refused to eat and I had to hand-feed her every meal, she was 6kg at 7 months old (she's now 17kg and not overweight) and the vets thought she had a porto-systemic shunt.
As soon as Shiloh came home she started eating reliably and now you can't stop her. Best decision of my life!

Then Kev decided he would like another rottweiler, he had one as a teenager and had to give him up when he went to college full-time. We went to a few rescue centres but there weren't any dogs that would fit in with Skye and Shiloh, so we travelled up to Manchester to see some rott x GSD puppies and meet their parents. The Mum and Dad were gorgeous dogs, so friendly and trusting and steady, so we brought Ruby home that day.

We first saw Bear back in August on work experience at a local kennels, and he was such a sorry boy. After hearing his story I fell in love and Kev brought him home as a surprise a fortnight later.
Unfortunately, Bear doesn't like living with other dogs though and we think it's exacerbating his health problems so we are now seriously considering rehoming through the PMDC rescue.

Now knowing that we could manage 4 dogs, I am seriously tempted to offer a foster placement for another rescue if and when Bear goes to a new home and when our own have settled again, but we'll see .... we'll be sure to let our dogs choose this one.
Good luck with Bear and rehoming and go for the fostering if everything goes smoothly with Bear - after everything you've gone through with your dogs and the training - you can so take on a foster
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2010, 10:35 PM
I fell in love with a gamekeeper! Having dogs are part of the job!

He bought Charlie (rip) as a pup, lakeland cross fell terrier, he was our first dog, Hamish came next, bought from a friend, our friend just didn't click with him, OH has, and he is a joy to own! A one in a million dog!

Gracie was next, given to us through a friend of a friend, too timid for trialling, so her owner wanted her to have a good life as a gundog, she grown so much, from a nervous little springer to a playful confident dog. She's still a bit iffy sometimes, but on the whole she's fab!

Misty was bought for my 19th birthday, wasn't supposed to be a birthday present, I was getting her regardless, but her homecoming fell on my birthday, so I told OH he didn't have to get me anything but her!

Midge (patterdale) was given to us, his owner didn't have time for him, he came through a friend of a friend of a friend. He such a wonderful companion. He has turned into a fantastic little dog, used to run off and chase all sorts, can now have him within 5 yards of a pheasant and he takes a massive detour around them. He shows no interest in my chickens at all! Not bad for a terrier!

Blade (originally Dave!) was given to OH and I, but he bonded with me and is now my best friend! He is from a litter that Hamish sired, and has a few of his personality traits. He was supposed to go to a keeper on the estate (before OH and I moved there), but he never sorted anything out for him, so was given to another keeper that works for the same people as OH, but on a different estate. Blade started chasing sheep, not in an aggresive way, he just wanted to play. His kennel overlooked a field that was always full of sheep, so that didnt help. He has overcome his sheep chasing and loves it with me!

We have others, but I'd be here all dayy!! Our most recent is a little Jack Russell Puppy, bitch, that OH has called Stella.

The general theme we seem to follow is aquiring dogs that no one else wants, and they seem to come good living with us.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by Misty-Pup View Post
I fell in love with a gamekeeper! Having dogs are part of the job!

He bought Charlie (rip) as a pup, lakeland cross fell terrier, he was our first dog, Hamish came next, bought from a friend, our friend just didn't click with him, OH has, and he is a joy to own! A one in a million dog!

Gracie was next, given to us through a friend of a friend, too timid for trialling, so her owner wanted her to have a good life as a gundog, she grown so much, from a nervous little springer to a playful confident dog. She's still a bit iffy sometimes, but on the whole she's fab!

Misty was bought for my 19th birthday, wasn't supposed to be a birthday present, I was getting her regardless, but her homecoming fell on my birthday, so I told OH he didn't have to get me anything but her!

Midge (patterdale) was given to us, his owner didn't have time for him, he came through a friend of a friend of a friend. He such a wonderful companion. He has turned into a fantastic little dog, used to run off and chase all sorts, can now have him within 5 yards of a pheasant and he takes a massive detour around them. He shows no interest in my chickens at all! Not bad for a terrier!

Blade (originally Dave!) was given to OH and I, but he bonded with me and is now my best friend! He is from a litter that Hamish sired, and has a few of his personality traits. He was supposed to go to a keeper on the estate (before OH and I moved there), but he never sorted anything out for him, so was given to another keeper that works for the same people as OH, but on a different estate. Blade started chasing sheep, not in an aggresive way, he just wanted to play. His kennel overlooked a field that was always full of sheep, so that didnt help. He has overcome his sheep chasing and loves it with me!

We have others, but I'd be here all dayy!! Our most recent is a little Jack Russell Puppy, bitch, that OH has called Stella.

The general theme we seem to follow is aquiring dogs that no one else wants, and they seem to come good living with us.
I met a staffie pup called Stella once - outside a pub - coincidently

I wish I could have a load of dogs. Next year if things go as planned - my OH should be coming home to a GSD pup (rescue though) at some point - he's always wanted one and we agreed that if he gets a GSD - I get a CC we'll have to see
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >