Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 12:33 PM

Accredited breeder scheme..

..mum had her home visit from them almost 7weeks ago, and only got her results back yesterday.. After being told they would be back in 2weeks.. Anyway she passed.
I for one think its great they have started home checking. May get rid of a few bad breeders atleast.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Problem is, are these dodgy breeders going to be devious and clean up their acts for homechecks? I've heard plenty of stories about people being sneaky for adoption homechecks - going as far as borrowing large cages (for small animals), buying a small bag of suitable fod & bedding, etc people for home their homechecks and when they've got bored and the rescue's gone back in to take the pet back, they've got it in a tiny cage, on unsuitable food & bedding and the animal's in a poor state. Even heard of people giving the wrong address for homechecks as they know their own homes would fail. For some reason some people will go to insane lengths to get a pet then not even spend 1/4 of that effort on actually looking after the pet and I imagine breeders with money for motivation could be even more devious.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Thats sad, and you are probs right I guess some breeders would try and cover up any wrong doing. Its not all about the house though in the check, they are looking at the over all condition of the dogs, their tempermants, their coats (and for us skin), amount of space in the garden, sleeping areas, they ask about daily routines and walking arrangments, whelping areas and equipment, where food is perpared and what is fed, the paper work you send with puppies, and the feed back sheets that have been sent back from buyers..and 100 other things that I wouldnt even have guessed them asking. I think they would be able to tell if things had been covered over, and you certainly couldnt cover over the conditions of the dogs or increase the amount of space, let alone alter the feed back given back.

we had a lovely lady do our check, she is a breeder herself.
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Never knew they had started homechecking. A friend recently had her last litter because she doesn't agree with the scheme and the way it is run. She sees the idea in it but until there is no PF's etc in it then no more litters ever for her!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Yep have started doing home checks, about flipping time. Just a shame that they didnt do home checks before adding a breeder to the list.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 05:05 PM
I think all new applicants get home checks now and ai know of two people who have been removed.

Last time I asked about 12 months ago a=more than 100 had been removed.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Yeah I was also told alot had been removed from the scheme after being checked and failing, can only be a good thing.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-11-2010, 05:12 PM
I wonder if it will help the member who was having problems with her leonberger breeder ...
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Well done to your mum - is she just a CC breeder or do you breed other breeds?

Unless they do surprise visits due to reports or complaints from potential puppy owners then I dont see many bad breeders being closed down and they'll always be those BYB who dont even bother to register. However all these bad breeders who do apply and clean up their act - some goo dmay come out of it - surely?
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Well in my experience it will but you have to be prepared to make the complaint in writing.

I have helped someone complain and all they ask is that you put the details in writing and they will investigate fully.
They won't on say so due to many mischief makers.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >