Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vawny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2010, 07:00 PM

How to get good paw prints?

I know this is going to sound odd, but I really want to have my two dogs paw prints tattooed on my inner wrist- scaled down of course.

My dogs have helped me cope with a difficult illness, they are literally the reason I get up every day. I have to start hospital treatment soon, where I'll be away from them 3 days a week, as opposed to being with them all day as I am now. I really think it'll help make the whole experience easier if I have a part of them with me. And I have wanted a tattoo about them since they moved in.

My partner and I have taken molds of their feet, just as a keepsake, but we're struggling to get paw prints. We tried a kit used for taking babies footprints, and it just didn't work, even though they were well behaved and let us do it without resistance (we washed their paws thoroughly afterwards!)

I know some people use muddy paw prints on towels and the likes, but I want to be able to keep the print as well as using it for my tattoo.

I have just run out of ideas, and I would really love any suggestions.

Thanks!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2010, 07:48 PM
The only decent one Iv got is a photo of his paw print on a wooden plank after a muddy puddle but its pretty clear, you could try that. I will try and get the photo up tommorow if possible.

Maybe you could (I dont know if this will be possible for you) try and take photos and scrapbook pages in with you? Make/take in a 'memory book' of them? If you dont get a good paw print.

Dont know if you have seen many before ( I can show you one of mine if you like?) but it will be totally individual to them and you and something you can look at and also show others (if you choose to)

I think your tatoo idea is a good one
chaosjoey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2010, 09:48 PM
It's not odd at all! I have a paw print tattoo'd on the top of my foot which is a dedication to our two!!

We took an ink pad and squished Chaos' paw on it and then plonked it on a piece of paper!!! A friend of ours then scanned it into his computer and touch it up a bit! I took this to the tattoo studio and she traced it and job done!!!
chaosjoey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Just found this pic of my foot about a day after it was done!
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-11-2010, 11:12 PM
Try the roll on ink you get for doing babys prints. You can also get some nice items made using pawprints. Can only find fairly expensive examples right now but I'm sure I've seen cheaper

http://www.pawprintsjewelry.com/paw-imprint-kit.html

or

http://www.tinytreasuresgifts.co.uk/...nd-charms.html

or

http://finesilverprints.co.uk/#/pets-corner/4542708255
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Thats what im looking to do as well . I was just going to use water paints but may look at some of these alternatives. Or even take a picture of the paw and use that as a template?
Vawny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I was hoping to find a non messy way of getting good prints, but have decided that an ink pad is probably going to be the most effective. My partner and I are going to do them tonight and the dogs will get some sort of meaty treat for afterwards.

I'll let you know how it goes Laura-Anne.
Vawny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Well... I say only use ink pads if your highly skilled! There are alot of inky dog prints on my kitchen floor now, but I don't mind because I got some good prints!

Mia loved the attention and we got great prints from her. Murphy wasn't so keen, but after a few treats was prepared to co-operate! I have washed both their paws well, and am very pleased I can start planning my tattoo now. Thinking about having the prints done in purple, as an alternative to black. Counting the days 'til my tattooist comes back to UK- can't wait. Yay!
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2010, 07:07 PM
This is such a lovely thing to do. I want prints of each of my dogs, past and present, somewhere on my body.
Id have 4, one each for Sophie [RIP], Bess [RIP], Flint & Simba.
dreamaday
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Maybe a little late now, but Jas left an awesome print on the kitchen floor this morning!
He had been for his walk, had his paws dried, then is made to sit while I get his breakfast, after a few minutes he had left a perfect print on the floorboards, it was perfectly dry where his pads had been and a damp mark inbetween them.
I almost took a pic, couldnt believe how clear it was, it soon dried and disappeared though.
I never been into tattoos but would love a small one of my old girls paw print, sadly I dont have one and she is now at the bridge

How did you get on with the inkpad?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >