Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rippydog
New Member!
Male 

12-11-2010, 12:11 PM

More help with our English Setter please

Hiya, me again.

Daisy, our English Setter (Llewellin) has started waking us up in the middle of the night to go for a wee. We take her water bowl up about 2 hours before we go to bed and take both the hounds out for a walk late in the evening.

She's also taken to pooing in the house in the late afternoon (while we're at work) even though she's been let out a couple of hours earlier. As I've said before, she's a rescue and we've had her for two months now but we seem to be going backwards.

Help!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by Rippydog View Post
Hiya, me again.

Daisy, our English Setter (Llewellin) has started waking us up in the middle of the night to go for a wee. We take her water bowl up about 2 hours before we go to bed and take both the hounds out for a walk late in the evening.

She's also taken to pooing in the house in the late afternoon (while we're at work) even though she's been let out a couple of hours earlier. As I've said before, she's a rescue and we've had her for two months now but we seem to be going backwards.

Help!
Hi Liam How old is Daisy, you say she 'has started' waking you up, have you changed her routine or food, could she have been scared by somthing like the recent fireworks.
Any change of habit should be investigated, a trip to the vet would be a good idea taking a urine sample if you can manage it to rule out a urinary tract infection or other medical condition which can cause an increase in urination.
Is Daisy spayed, if not she may be coming in season, this can also lead to increased urination and soiling.

Dogs should have access to water all the times unless advised to do otherwise by a vet. This is particularly important if they are fed on a dry complete food. Removal of water as well as being unpleasant for a dog can cause concentrated urine and this in turn can aggravate the bladder making a dog urinate more not less. Restricting water can also contribute to other medical conditions like kidney/bladder stones.

I would consider the possibility that Daisy has never been correctly house trained in the first place and I would start taking her out at regular intervals as I would a puppy (first thing in the morning/last thing at night/after sleep/play/excitement/food and every hour for a small puppy -a couple of hours after it last went out for an older one ) and praising her when she goes to reinforce the required behaviour so that she will wish to repeat it.

You say you 'let her out' it is much better to take her out even if it is only for a short walk and preferably to an area frequented by other dogs .The exercises and sniffing areas where other dogs have been will stimulate Daisy to relieve himself/scent mark then you can be sure she is empty before being left,don't forget to praise her when she goes.

It is also important to throughly clean previously soiled areas in the with a none ammonia based cleaner like biological washing powder to remove every trace of the scent to prevent repeat soilings.

Lastly I would look at what you are feeding Daisy, feeding poor quality food/ feeding too much/when the food is given can affect both when a dog soils and the quantity of output.