Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-10-2010, 02:25 PM

Limping

hi any one any ideas how i can help my 3 year old staffy. When he was about 2 i took him to a trainer,or thats what the ad said i beg to differ after seeing him try to pin my dog in the mud. after this incident tys back leg kept dislocating,i took him vets and they gave him some xrays and metcam.all appeared well till just recently hes started to hobble when being walked or getting up from long rests. do you think it could be that its his old injury resurfacing he loves his ball and runs very fast and slides when he reaches it not sure if this is agrivating the problem. being a staffy he seems to take it in his stride but i feel for him and dont want to make it worse. i bought some high strength joint tablets today from the pet shop any body any other ideas on what may cause him to be limping or any tratment ideas many thanks on any comments left
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 08:59 AM
The ball play will def be aggravating it. I would stop that immediately and have him on complete rest for a bit and see how he gets on. A trip back to the vet would be a good idea as well.

Was it a 'luxating patella' that he had before?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Yes, I`d get a diagnosis first, which may mean x-rays, but it is possible the cause can be found without, so I`d go to the vet. Could be cruciate, could be arthritis etc...
In the meantime, I`d stop anything that puts too much strain on the joint.
Supplements like glucosamine etc. may help certain conditions but not others so diagnosis is vital IMO
ps - a trainer did that to Daisy too, She`s needed to be muzzled round trainers ever since.
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2010, 03:39 PM
yes it was a luxating patella that he had though after his xrays the first time they said there was fluid there making it go in and out of joint his actual joint was fine took him out today and we had no limping at all i have changed the harness he was wearing he had one that went across his chest now he has a chest plate one i will see how he goes keep him on the glucosamine and if he appears to be limping again in the week hell be off to the vet need to take out membership got take my other dog on wed for her skin problem lol