Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2010, 12:15 PM

Different breeds and agility

ive decided that when i move out im definately having a bigger breed as ive never been allowed a big dog at home.

i want to do something with my next dog other than showing, ive tried gundog training but really want to do agility?

can boxers do agility? or dobermans?

it would be a great help if anyone out there does agility with a more unusual breed, not just the collies (no offence collie people)

pictures are also welcome
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2010, 12:32 PM
I cant find my pictures at them moment, but Im doing agility with my lil crossbreeds
In our club we have an agility rotty, he is lovely - so if he can do it I would say boxers will be able to. The main issue really is turning - he dosent turn v well so you have to plan to slow him down
I have seen a doberman doing agility but I dont know them

I see lots of lurcher types and a lovely 3 legged greyhound

GSD's do fairly well
and in medium and small just about every breed does agility!
and I love to watch them all
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2010, 12:44 PM
Almost any breed can do agility, some are better than others. My little JRT was very very fast and loved it, wheras my Rottie x GSD was not so fast.

madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-10-2010, 01:00 PM
My dobie Madison isnt the fastest but she does enjoy it hopefully the dobie i get next year will too.

Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2010, 01:26 PM
Awww love that last photo jumping through the hoop!

I think it depends of your doing agilty to be competitive or just for fun. Collies definately come out top for agility. I'm starting agility with Cain early next year when he's old enough and our group is purely for fun. They have all sorts of breeds, many rescue cross breeds, I've seen spaniels, GSDs, terriers, labradors, greyhounds/lurchers, all sorts!! So any dog can do agilty for fun even if they are not the fastest
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-10-2010, 01:59 PM
my springer will be doing agility when he matures, i think a doberman would be a good bet for agility.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
ive decided that when i move out im definately having a bigger breed as ive never been allowed a big dog at home.

i want to do something with my next dog other than showing, ive tried gundog training but really want to do agility?

caagility? or dobermans?n boxers do

it would be a great help if anyone out there does agility with a more unusual breed, not just the collies (no offence collie people)

pictures are also welcome
Boxers can do anything you wish them to,

Do YouTube search for Boxers and activities ans you sill see what they are capable of
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2010, 04:21 PM
I did agility with my GWPx in the past and if it wasnt for his over excitement then he would've excelled at it. As it stands I find the fast paced nature of agility only aggravates his highly strung nature so we opted for the calmer gundog work.

However, Flynn is fairly slight compared to GWP's or SRHP's in general and his long legs and lean frame made him perfect for speed and for jumping over anything in his way.

I would say you dont want anything too bulky if you are thinking about competing in agility rather than just doing it for fun, lurchers are perhaps the ideal build for a larger dog. I know of somebody who competes seriously with 3 GSP's but they are slightly built ones, not the great horses you sometimes see!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2010, 04:29 PM
The only dogs I wouldnt say for agility are really giant heavy breeds
any dog that can run about and jump in real life is fine for a bit of fun

I do wanna add tho, I would never get a dog just FOR agility, because then the dog you get might not enjoy it (no idea why tho, its great fun for them if trained that way) or might not be able to do it
imo you do agility as a fun hobby to make your pets life happier
I hate to see people who get rid of dogs because they cant do their hobby with them
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2010, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
The only dogs I wouldnt say for agility are really giant heavy breeds
any dog that can run about and jump in real life is fine for a bit of fun
my group also have a Leonberger who does agility! They just keep it low impact but doing low jumps and not too many, the dog loves it. He'll never win for speed but has loads of fun
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >