Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2010, 11:12 AM

Birmingham teen's devastation as rehomed dog destroyed

A MIDLAND teenager was devastated to find out her missing pet dog was being destroyed as it was a banned breed – because she thought it was a Staffordshire bull terrier.
Sarah Norton, aged 18, was given 12-month-old black and white pup Diesel as a present by her mum, who bought him through Birmingham Dogs’ Home in April where he was listed as a Staffordshire bull terrier cross.
But after Diesel escaped from
earlier this month, the family were horrified to receive a visit from a West Midlands Police Dangerous Dogs Unit officer, who had found the
He said Diesel had been identified as a pit bull terrier – one of the UK’s banned breeds which police are authorised to destroy under the Dangerous Dogs Act – and was to be put down almost immediately.
Sarah, who lives in Handsworth, broke down at the news and said it had never occurred to her that the animal, which her mum bought through a £20 donation, could be dangerous.
She said: “The dog was lovely. He never lashed out. I’ve got a place of my own now and I wanted him to come and live with me.
“When I found out what happened I just started crying. The dog loved me, he used to come and sleep in my bed.
“I asked if they could find out when he was going to be put down, so I could come and be with him, but they said no-one was allowed.
Read More..... http://www.birminghammail.net/news/top-stories/2010/09/20/birmingham-teen-s-devastation-as-rehomed-dog-destroyed-97319-27300432

missy01
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-09-2010, 11:34 AM
that is so sad, that poor girl.
It just highlights the effects that careless breeding can have, the people who bred that Dog didn't stop to think that this could be the outcome.
My heart is with the girl.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2010, 11:44 AM
Poor girl and what a stupid situation all round. The whole banned breed and 'type' thing is such a load of bull plop. One mans pitbull seemes to be another mans staffy cross.

Its always the dogs that suffer RIP Diesel at least you had a few months of love
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-09-2010, 01:31 PM
That's so sad, even if he was a full Pitbull, it's how they are brought up that decides whether they are dangerous/aggressive dogs. My OH had one years ago who was the soppiest dog ever and never showed any aggression to anyone, as he was brought up that way.

I totally blame these mindless idiots who get these dogs as some kind of trophy, then teach them to be aggressive and give every dog of that particular breed a bad image!

Any dog can be aggressive if it's taught to be, not just these so called 'dangerous' breeds.

Poor doggy to have just found a loving new home, to then getting put to sleep for doing nothing!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2010, 04:01 PM
From another point of view - whatthe hell are B'ham DH doing, claiming a PB type is a SBTx. I think the difference is pretty obvious and those who apparently work with dogs day in, day out should have known better.

I had heard that they do this often. They get in what are obviously PBs or PB types and state they are SBT crosses, just to get them out again.

i think when she's ready, the owner should be given the option of rehoming another dog from B'ham DH - for free.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
From another point of view - whatthe hell are B'ham DH doing, claiming a PB type is a SBTx. I think the difference is pretty obvious and those who apparently work with dogs day in, day out should have known better.

I had heard that they do this often. They get in what are obviously PBs or PB types and state they are SBT crosses, just to get them out again.

i think when she's ready, the owner should be given the option of rehoming another dog from B'ham DH - for free.
Actually that is that I was thinking. How totally irresponsible of Birmingham Dogs Home! What sort of idiots work there???

They are the ones that should be held accountable for this poor girls upset.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2010, 04:55 PM
What a sad, but all to familiar situation. I take it that there was no way the owner could've gone to court to get the dog added to the exemption index.

I disagree however, that it is easy to tell an apbt from an sbt mix, that would depend on the breed it is crossed with, and how the differing physical trates combine and display themselves.

An sbt x lab for example, could give you a dog of type, therefore being classed as dangerous and illegal, and equally a dog that isn't of type, that is not considdered dangerous or illegal, but they're both of the same breeding...its madness.

And then to add to it, type seems to be a matter of opinion, what one sees as being of type, another doesn't, and as the guide lines for assessing what is type are so vague, they could both be right.

So the question is, did anyone in the rescue believe this dog could be considered type, or didn't they. If the former then whoever was responsible needs taking to task, if the latter, then they seriously need to start considering it as an assessment criteria for the dogs they take in.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2010, 06:50 PM
That is terrible, the poor girl - she must be devastated. RIP Diesel.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2010, 07:37 PM
the whole point though is that a sbt x can be found to be Pitbull, they dont have to have any specific DNA - its of type therefore its destroyed so Birmingham dogs home were not in the wrong. If someone reported my dog then he could be suspected of being of type too - it doesnt need to be an actual pItbull to be seized or destroyed
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2010, 07:04 AM
Well all I can say is BDH have several staffie X, some of whch I saw seemed more mastiff type than SBT type, well unless you class being brindle in colour classes them as SBT X's one I saw looked more mastiffxBoxer but it was down as SBTx
Also West Mids police are having a crack-down on these type of dogs too (fact not my thoughts)

My only thoughts are with a crack down so heavily in place are they being sure that it is a PB, last one from round here was a SBTXLab, the owner knew the parentage for defo yet it was taken off, they had to go to court etc to get him back....but the police did try hard to oppose it
I just hope wrong judgements don't get dogs pts just on looks....but I rather think they do
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >