Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2010, 08:29 PM

Definitely switching to raw!!

been considering it anyway but after what i found out today daphni is going on to raw as soon as possible!!

a friend of nanas who has a bulldog was constantly having problems with it, losing its coat, bad stomach, the runs generally a very upset dog, and she was constantly taking it to the vets. they couldnt work out anything specific, so she asked the vets if there was anywhere she could send the food off for analysis. the dog was being fed on royal canin and james wellbeloved. when the results came back she was shocked to discover that both brands contained arsenic and peroxide!! this makes the shelf life longer apparently. thats why (and ours do it) are constantly scratchy, get bad tearstaining have upset stomachs and things. the bulldog woman's friend then sent her food off (nana cant remember what brand) but this contained arsenic too!

i am completely shocked that this would be found in dog food!!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Glad you have finally decided to do the switch. Daph will love it! we saw a massive change in our puffers coats!
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Welcome to the club!!

Your dog will thank you!! Best thing I did for my lot!!
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2010, 08:55 AM
We feed raw too, the dogs look really good on it. Some of these processed foods don't even contain very much meat.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2010, 11:40 AM
I have been feeding half raw and half JWB, keeping my options open in case I can't get enough economical raw meat. I have noticed that my Springer who is black and white is positively gleaming. His black bits look really, really black and sooooo shiney. He has never looked so well. My GSP who is also black looks fab too. I was teetering on the edge of moving them across onto raw completely. Now because of this thread I have taken the plunge as I am nearly out of kibble. Now my chest freezer in the garage is absolutely stuffed full of meat and bones and my fridge too. OH will think I'm barmy, but hey ho, sometimes you just have to adapt!
Margaret
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
when the results came back she was shocked to discover that both brands contained arsenic and peroxide!! this makes the shelf life longer apparently. thats why (and ours do it) are constantly scratchy, get bad tearstaining have upset stomachs and things. the bulldog woman's friend then sent her food off (nana cant remember what brand) but this contained arsenic too!

i am completely shocked that this would be found in dog food!!
I wonder if this is in all dog food, this really has me worried, I feed one of mine Burns kibble and the other Chappie kibble.
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-09-2010, 12:36 PM
I wish I could feed Kia raw but for the time being it's just not possible! She has a very delicate tum and so we now have her on Chappie which is working wonders and we've not had any runny tummy's since we changed over.

The problem with going raw is that we don't currently have a freezer... So no storage for all that meaty goodness! And it would simply be too expensive to buy fresh every day. It's a shame as I'm sure she'd thrive on a raw diet!! Oh well, one day maybe!

S x
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-09-2010, 01:15 PM
Arsenic and peroxide would never have thought that!!! Can hardly believe it!!!
(Three of our four dogs are on raw food would be all four but one is fussy and sensitive.)
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah & Mike View Post
I wish I could feed Kia raw but for the time being it's just not possible! She has a very delicate tum and so we now have her on Chappie which is working wonders and we've not had any runny tummy's since we changed over.

The problem with going raw is that we don't currently have a freezer... So no storage for all that meaty goodness! And it would simply be too expensive to buy fresh every day. It's a shame as I'm sure she'd thrive on a raw diet!! Oh well, one day maybe!

S x
I've been buying Sainsbury's Basics frozen chicken portions which are £3.49 for a 2 kg bag. Kia is so tiny she would need much, a bag would probably last you 2-3 days in the fridge.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2010, 01:46 PM
ive found a really good already prepared raw food, its called natural instinct. she absolutely loves having raw food, she still has some biscuits, but thats just because i still have some left over. it seems exspensive when you see the price, but its £34 for 10 kg and they come in sealed 1kg bags. one bag does daphni ten days worth of meals, so it works out 34p a day. im really chuft with it. im going to substitute one meal a week with some chicken wings just to give her a bit of chewing time. she still likes her other bits like eggs and cheese and things, but her treats are all natural things too now. switched over well and truly
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >