Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gsd lover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-09-2010, 11:07 AM

I just dont know what to do

well a man that lives a few doors up from me who we know well a few weeks ago got a bc x gsd from rescue i was delighted to meet the new lovely boy he is such a nice gentle giant altho the man was told he can be dog aggressive so he was to try and work with him to get over the issue. well over the past week or so the man has been going to the pub everynight and leaving the dog with friends. he lets one of the kids from our area walk him the child is 9! now this dog is bigger than my gsd and i fear what will happen if the dog decides to go for another dog with the child on the other end of the lead. he also lets the dog out to the loo on his own basically opens his door and off he goes as well as being alot of nice dogs in my area there are even more cats i fear incase he runs onto the road god forrbid! i have been loseing sleep worring about it my oh tells me not to get involved but me being me i just cant i fear if the man gives up and comes to terms with the fact this is not the dog for him he will send him back to the rescue i have been pleeding with my oh if that happens would he be ok with me giveing the dog a home with us however he doesnt think it would be best ofcourse i would only take him if i was 100% sure he was ok with kai. still my partner insists i dont get involved the other option i have been thinking about is going to see the man and asking if he would like me to help the dog with this dog aggresion and i would walk him instead of kids and do some training with him as i dont think he is getting the mental symulation he needs. what does every1 think should i keep out of it or go and speak to him and help with issues? forgot to mention 4 days after getting him the man went to visit his sister for 3 days and left the dog with a friend who is in his 70's with bad legs
josshun
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-09-2010, 11:20 AM
hi there i would definitly try and have a quite word with him god forbid if there was another dog when the child is walking him he could get hurt as well very iresponsable man does the rescue not do follow up's
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 11:25 AM
mmmmmmm.... not an easy one this.

The thing is I think most of us know of a situation or one similar to this in most places. There are dogs down my s-i-l road that would worry the pants off me and I have reported them and offered help, but nothing is done.
The GSD's in one of my other posts being one of the things

I have at one time, shall we say, "helped" the dog find a better home..........cos I couldn't stand by.

Sorry I cant help you in this except to say be careful as some folk dont or wont take help.
gsd lover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-09-2010, 05:53 PM
thank you both for your comments think i have to say something but do it suttle hopefuly he takes some advice for the safety of his dog and every1 elses around my area
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 06:26 PM
i think I would be inclined to find out which rescue he got the dog from and have a quiet word in their ear - they can then send someone to do a follow up visit and check to see if they are happy with situation,....
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
i think I would be inclined to find out which rescue he got the dog from and have a quiet word in their ear - they can then send someone to do a follow up visit and check to see if they are happy with situation,....
That's an excellent idea, and will work if it is a large rescue centre. Probably some of the smaller ones that are really strapped for cash may not be inclined or able to do follow up visits.

This dog and it's situation sounds like an accident waiting to happen.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
i agree, the rescue should know what is going on. poor dog could end up in trouble, and he will end up paying the price when the owner should be taking responsibility.
gsd lover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-09-2010, 06:53 PM
well what i was dreading to happen has happened the dog attacked the friendly bull terrier(my dogs little friend) just along the road the bully who is a lovely boy and is getting old was on his lead when the other dog flew at him i heard his owner screaming and i ran out and helped get them apart whilst talking to some people from my area i was told that a few people had reported the man to the sspca i had a word with the man i was fuming because the bully is such a nice dog who plays with my kai all the time and wouldnt hurt a fly all i kept think is that could have been my dog i told him i thought it would be best to take him back to the rescue centre or i would help with walking and training if he would like he seemed to take it in and would love me to walk him so we will see what will happen. poor dog its not his fault atall the man was warned really angry about the whole thing