Our sister sites
Our sister sites
alison louise
New Member!
Female 

07-08-2010, 03:56 PM

Sasha

hello all
i have a few questions about my female staff sasha.
she is coming in2 season again and i was wondering wer i can get some pads????
w/b soon please
alison louise
New Member!
Female 

07-08-2010, 03:58 PM
and also how many seasons do you think she should have before i breed her??
i have been told so many different things getting abit confused to be honest
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-08-2010, 06:50 PM
sorry i dont know where to get pads as i have never owned a female dog.

Welcometo the forum.

HOw old is she? why do you want to breed her?
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Hi,

I wouldn't use pads on a bitch in season. It prevents them form cleaning themselves and they can get very stressed about this.

If I've misunderstood and you mean pads to use on the floor perhaps or to cover her bedding, you could buy puppy training pads to use temporarily.

I'm assuming your girl has been through all the relevant health tests for her breed and is clear of any genetic or hereditary problems that may show up in a litter? Are you sure you can contribute to the breed by allowing her to have a litter?

Furthermore, why do you want to breed her? There are thousands of staffies being PTS purely because there isn't room for them. Happy healthy, young dogs who've done no wrong to anyone are living for 7 days in pounds with a death sentence over their heads.

I do feel that those who breed staffies are adding to the rescue problem in this Country. But if I've got you wrong then I apologise unreservedly. If so, then I'm assuming you already have a waiting list of potential homes and a possible sire in mind?

Finally, if you do chooose to breed her, you'll need to do your research - not just on breeding but on the SBT breed itself too. It's also best to have an experienced breeder as a mentor. You'll be expected to know everything for when potential homes are found and you will have the responsibility of all dogs you breed for the duration of their lifetimes. If your bitch has, say 5 pups and for whatever reason they end up staying with you, or returned to you, can you cope with and afford 6 dogs?

Laura xx
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2010, 07:32 PM
I just googled and you can get them at canineconcepts but presumably a lot of other places will sell them.

Why so would you want to breed your staffie. Up our way the resuce kennels are full of staffies looking for homes, there are literally hundreds of them who have been dumped.
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Watch the previous Panorama episode on bbc iplayer.
You will see how many staffies face being put into rescues and never finding that home. Please consider getting her spayed. x
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Please watch this...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...Unwanted_Pets/

I am sure once you do you will change your mind, it really is tragic how many happy, healthy staffies are being put down everyday.

J.
littlefoot
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Pets@ home will have what you need.

I would really listen to the other though. If you're thinking that every dogs needs to have a litter before being spayed then you might want to do some research. I would have really loved to have bred from my Labrador, but with no papers or health checks I really didn't see the point.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2010, 07:31 PM
You can get normal panty liners and cut them in half and they will fit in the knickers well enough.

before you even think of breeding her you need to check a couple of things first.
Is she fit and healthy and a good example of the breed.

Has she been tested DNA for L2 HGA and HC
Has she been eye tested for PHPV and PPSC.

Do you have a slush fund in case of unexpected vet bills.

Do you have homes lined up for the puppies and can you cope for any one letting you down or returning any of the pups back to you at a later date.