Our sister sites
Our sister sites
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2010, 10:49 PM

Kismet's Food aggression is...

CURED!

Posted in this section to hopefully give other people with food aggression issues, some hope! There is a light at the end of the tunnel and your patience will pay off.

I have been waiting a while before posting this prognosis. But for the last, gosh nearly a year now, I have been slowly working on Kismet's food aggression. She came with it, but it just got worse and worse. I inadvertently made it much worse using domination techniques when things first started getting serious, she escalated to a point where she would viciously attack the other dogs if there was food in the equation. Once biting Pharaoh badly enough he needed stitches.

After some very sage advice on here, I took a very different tack to her training. I took all of the stress out of food time. I slowed her eating down by giving her small meals more often. I started slowly just sitting with her while she ate and adding treats, removing all bones and food related toys and only allowing her to have them locked away from the other dogs.

Once she was comfortable with me and other people near her food bowl and looked up wagging when you approach instead of freezing and grabbing at the food and growling. I began to feed her on either side of the glass patio door from Selkie, then gradually on a leash but with the door open, then without the leash but still supervised and finally without supervision.... well...

It's been a while... about a couple of weeks ago, I started putting her bowl next to Selkie's... But then today on my way from the kitchen I dropped my sandwich... Yummy sandwich and crisps all over the floor, the canine clean up squad moved straight in hoovering up all the food, butting heads and jostling for all the best bits.. Before I could tell them to leave it... I realised... that was my terrifying food aggressive Kismet in there, jostling up happily against Pharaoh, Selkie and Bizkit with not a growl or snatch. I will admit I couldn't help but feel so proud of my girl!

So I declare Kismet's food aggression CURED!

madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2010, 06:34 AM
Fantastic, well done you for all your patience and hard work which has really paid off.
This will be a real inspiration to others facing the same problem.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2010, 06:35 AM
That is absolutely fantastic, well done you, and well done to Kismet

Just shows how good techniques, based on trust, fairness and understanding, can work so well. Now you've got a dog who can happily hoover up food with all the other dogs - and who accepts and even looks forward to humans near to her when she's eating!

I do think this is an absolutely massive achievement, I am so pleased for you, more than words can say

Wys
x
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-08-2010, 08:08 AM
Kismet is gorgeous!
SibeVibe
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-08-2010, 08:56 AM
HUGE Well Done to you both. You have every right to feel very proud

Way to go Kismet

Take care.

Seoniad.

P.S. Jacub says Kismet can come share his dinner any time
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Well done you

Such a huge step - feel VERY proud
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Well done to you (both) your hard work & patience has obviously paid off - I don't know if you remember my food agressive Tilly as a puppy? I was beside myself!! she was obviously easier to train out of it being so young but it was very difficult being my first dog & at times we took 2 steps backwards & made things worse, but we got there after a lot of patience so I know how you feel
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2010, 09:53 AM
awww well done you and especially well done Kismet, she is beautiful xx
Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Wow she is a stunning girl so very beautiful!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Well done you! You are an inspiration and show just what love, time, patience and dedication along with positive training can acheive. You must be so proud! Well done Kismet and well done you
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >