Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2010, 01:15 PM

Get off the Sofa!

I am having real trouble with keeping Cooper off the furniture downstairs since he realized he is tall enough to climb on the sofa. He is allowed on my bed, but that's all, same as the other 2 dogs.

They have beds all over the house they can lie on, and no amount of get down and then praise will stop it (been going on for a good few weeks now) he gets down and sometimes goes to lie on one of the beds, but other times he will go to another seat or climb straight back on. Sometimes he does it just to get attention from me as he will climb on the chair I can see and watch me till I tell him to get down, he then won't move till I stand up and then he will get down.
I have only given him attention and cuddles on the floor since he came home and have tried to make the floor the nice place to be with toys and cuddles but he still thinks the sofa is the nicest place to be.

I really need to stop the behavior now as it's leading to arguments (I still live at home and my dad has actually tapped him on the bum to make him get down and I do not want to go the hitting route with my dog or have anyone else do it.)

I am wondering if I got a really nice, really comfy dog bed for him that he would prefer to lie on that rather than on the sofa?
Panda84
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Have you taught your dog the 'bed' command. If you teach him to go to his bed on command then he cant be on the sofa if he is busy going to his bed.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2010, 02:43 PM
Harley used to be like this and also used the sofas as trampolines when he was a pup.

How I dealt with it, is say "off" once (I use "off" and "down" means lay down to my two), then if he doesn't get off, I used to go and usher him off the sofa. This would either be by putting my finger under his collar and leading him off the sofa, or once he clicked on to what I was about to do, I just needed to stand up and he would get off. Always praise when they are getting off too by saying "good off" or whatever command you use.

Once you have said your command once, don't speak or look at your dog, but get them off the sofa.

You have to be strict about not letting them on AT ALL.

I personally think you might be confusing your dog with allowing them on your bed, but at the same time, I believe dogs are clever enough to differentiate between places.

Just be consistent with whatever method you use and it should work well
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
Harley used to be like this and also used the sofas as trampolines when he was a pup.

How I dealt with it, is say "off" once (I use "off" and "down" means lay down to my two), then if he doesn't get off, I used to go and usher him off the sofa. This would either be by putting my finger under his collar and leading him off the sofa, or once he clicked on to what I was about to do, I just needed to stand up and he would get off. Always praise when they are getting off too by saying "good off" or whatever command you use.

Once you have said your command once, don't speak or look at your dog, but get them off the sofa.

You have to be strict about not letting them on AT ALL.

I personally think you might be confusing your dog with allowing them on your bed, but at the same time, I believe dogs are clever enough to differentiate between places.

Just be consistent with whatever method you use and it should work well
I do this with Bobs too and it does work well with him.

He is allowed on my bed to sleep at night, but is not allowed on my chair or the settee unless I invite him on there.

He is now starting to 'ask' if he can go on the settee bu sitting in front of it and looking at me, but I usually say NO and then he lies down on the floor.

He still has the habit of hiding his Bonio on my chair though!