Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2010, 05:14 PM

Why are there so many in rescue?

just looking on some rescue sites, and why are there so many in rescue it makes me really sad!

yes im buying another puppy, before anyone says well im adding to the problem and all that bother, but i truly would love to rescue some dogs, just the position im in i cant!

ive especially fallen in love with this dude!

http://www.dogsblog.com/doyle-3/

one day i will rescue a fair few dogs and they can all live happily ever after in my dog mad home
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2010, 05:47 PM
My old boy was a rescue He was the best dog I've ever owned!

I so wish I could help these poor animals in rescue, maybe one day if I win the lottery
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2010, 08:42 PM
I wish I could help them all to! we have a fair few rescues here, we foster, donate, and do transport runs! Its not enough but Its something to help the needy little lot!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
I wish I could help them all to! we have a fair few rescues here, we foster, donate, and do transport runs! Its not enough but Its something to help the needy little lot!
i was looking on dogs blog, and have fallen in love with so many!
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Dogsblog gets addictive...
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2010, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Dogsblog gets addictive...
i know its really bad... i go on it more or less every day
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2010, 10:25 PM
It is heartbreaking and I too added to the problem by buying Lily. One thing I know is that I will only ever get rescues in the future. Each to their own though. Even if you do buy a puppy then be responsible in your choice of breeder. There are ways of helping and not just through adoption.

Knowing, acknowledging and doing something about a problem always makes it a little smaller.
littlefoot
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2010, 11:17 PM
I bought my boy Zeus and Momo is a rescue. I would love to take in a third, but I want to start fostering again really.

The answer I can give for why so many is a long one. Trendy dog gone out of fashion, designer dogs and the poor dogs who are bred purely for profit. Then you have to add to the mix people buying dogs cause they look good. Not having a second thought for what breed they have dot and needs. I think it's the main reason so many collies, terriers and huskies end up in rescues. Look cute when they are pups, but all breeds that need lots of input.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 04:17 AM
I guess some people are just fickle by nature, and as Littlefoot said the reasons are endless. It is heartbreaking to see so many, at the moment there seems to be an influx of dogs that are surrendered or found and no one comes to collect them. Only the other day three little pups were found on someone's front verandah in a box, luckily they hit the paper and all have homes now.
I don't think you add to the problem by not getting a rescue, I have one dog that is not a rescue/stray, I didn't realise at the time how many other options were out there, but even if I did and had got him, I didn't add to the problem as he is in my house and has been for over 7yrs and will be here for the rest of his life if it is in my power. Now if I got him and got bored with him or whatever and dumped him, then I would be guilty
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2010, 04:34 AM
the solution is simple - only buy from a breeder who is ethical enough to issue a 'safety net' for each puppy -

all pups should be sold with the guarantee that the breeder will take them back should the need arise - if the breeder does not supply a contract stating this then WALK AWAY ....

Yvonne
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >