Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 11:29 AM

I saw my first Staffy!

So I know it sounds weird to you guys, but here in Alberta, I have never seen a real life Staffordshire Bull Terrier.... here we have American Staffordshire Terriers, and American Pit Bull Terriers and American Bulldogs aplenty... but its extremely rare to see Staffies.

Well yesterday I was going for supper and when I pulled into the restaurant, there was a family sitting outside with their dog... he looked a bit like a short, small pitty... and I thought AH HA! and rolled down my window to ask. I was indeed correct! and seriously surprised the owners as no one ever has got that before... most think he's a small Pitty of some sort... or a Pitty crossed with a beagle! (I had to laugh at that one, as with his markings, he could very well have been! LOL) He was the sweetest guy. he was off leash, and greeting everyone he could.... even other dogs. He was a fantastic representation of the breed, as far as I could tell from reading about them on here!

anyway... just thought I'd share! I wish I had my camera tho, as I would have loved a pic of him!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Wow, it's hard to believe a dog that is so commonly seen here is rare over there!

Glad you met one, especially one who was such a good ambassador for this wonderful breed.

Sid and I are huge Staffy fans, they are fab little dogs
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 07:02 PM
They really are little! I knew they were smaller/shorter than Pits, but they are alot smaller/shorter!

My friend has a Pit bull that was destined for the fight ring in Ontario. he was rescued at 7 months, and never did see a fight (thank GOD) he is a nice 60 lbs, maybe 22 inches at the shoulder, but is amazingly muscular and fit. Most pitties I see look quite a bit different than Rocky, as they were bred for a different purpose.

that really is funny how different countries have different popular breeds eh?
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 09:56 PM
One of the best breeds in the world and sadly one of the most abused too.

Glad you got to see one of the lucky ones and your friends Pit (also a lucky pup!) sounds absolutely gorgeous!