Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 10:54 AM

I want a saddleback!

One day I'm going to have to get a field and keep a saddleback or two, they are just great, although the fascination with them I must say started by being read a book at school about a saddleback pig whose markings where wrong and he ended up with a white circle on his behind instead, I still remember the bit where he ended up on a army training field and jumped head first into a hole and ended up looking like a target .

But I have to say that I love this breed, I love them, I love their temperments, and I love their white bit, and I just find them gorgeous, so one day I am going to have to get a couple of saddleback pigs .

Heres a link to a website for someone who keeps and breeds them for anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about

http://www.saddlebackpigs.co.uk/index.html
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 10:56 AM
They're my fave!!! I haven't got a clue about keeping pigs but I dream of owning a few of these one day!

Good link
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Are they good for meat?
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 11:02 AM
I haven't either lol, there were some Kune Kunes at college, I learnt a bit with them about how to look after them, I also had a tutor who once wrote a book for the RSPCA about pig care, and found in intresting when she told me that through her research on pigs with toys that she found that if pigs were given toys and enrichment through out the day they slept better at night, where as ones who didn't would wake up every now and then, walk around or even bite the other pigs that they were living with.

Maybe when I'm in a position to keep a couple of pigs I'll have to hope that this place is still offering courses, so I can learn with saddlebacks too
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Are they good for meat?
Yes, very good for meat.

The selection criteria is very strict with the rest going to the local butchers as prime tasty pork
ETA if you look at the butchers page you will see that these people say 'eat them to keep them' and talk about their award winning pork, bacon, burgers, ham and pork pies, the saddleback is a nice breed, with a nice temperment, and also their meat is good too, I know a few who cross saddlebacks with other pigs for the meat, so they are good for keeping if you want a friendly pig, or farming for their meet too, plus they are a rare british breed, which means, well to me it would be nice to feel like you are helping with the numbers, even if its just keeping a few
Kanie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2010, 12:05 PM
another saddleback fan here!
I used to have some Britains farm animals when I was a child and my best pig was the saddleback!

Having said that, I do like Tamworths too
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-10-2010, 07:16 AM
Here is a short vid of our girls in the garden with some of the dogs, they have been moved out to a field now as they are now a bit too big to keep in the garden