Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-07-2010, 04:25 PM

I rescued a labrador this morning.

Was driving to my friends and taking the back road through out of Harlow when I saw this yellow lab come off the field and into the path of the oncoming cars good job they were slowing down. Someone coming towards me stopped but had someone behind them so had to carry on going when the dog was out of the way. I was pulled over where the road narrows to let them onto the main road and so I put my hazards on and got out and called her to me, she came hurrying along tail wagging collar no id tag.

Another car had also stopped behind me and we both thought the same thing she had come from the house on the corner. In the garden was this elderly painter/decorator saying she's not mine. Then says after a long pause but she does live here. This house had high metal gates and apparently she has got out before not through the gates but through a gap in their back garden onto the field. They thought they had stopped her with some chicken wire.

He could not open the gates so got some rope and we tied the rope to her collar then to the gates till her owner arrived back. Apparently he wasn't going to be long. I gave her a fuss and said goodbye she looked at me as I pulled away wagging her tail.

She could so easily get knocked down on that bit of road it is a fast back country lane.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2010, 04:34 PM
She's a lucky girl that you happened to come along. Good for you, lets hope her doppy owner learned from this.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
She's a lucky girl that you happened to come along. Good for you, lets hope her doppy owner learned from this.
I'm hoping so. Trouble is his house sides onto a big field and I wonder if he has a false sense of security about her going towards the woods rather than onto the road.

I am hoping they got that gap they patched up sorted properly today.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Some people don't deserve dogs.

Why don't they just mend the flaming fence?

scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2010, 07:43 PM
I agree with Vicki...and thank goodness you came along when you did Lynn, I always worry if I see a dog running loose and can't stop to investigate
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2010, 08:54 AM
Well done for taking the time & trouble to get this dog out of danger ~ silly owners!

So far this year I've helped catch a frisky GSD pup that managed to slip it's lead on a busy main road in rush hour. Luckily a tractor stopped & blocked the road till we managed to catch the pup & luckily I had a bumbag full of sausages to entice it, as it was having too much fun playing "catch me if you can" with it's owners

I've rescued 2 lambs that had managed to escape through a hole in a fence onto the road. I blocked the road behind the lambs & my friend blocked the road in front with our cars. We then managed to each grab a lamb & pop it back over the fence to the mum who was going frantic.

The last week we came back to the car park with our dogs after a long walk & found an extremely friendly elderly black lab in the car park, no collar & no other cars around & we were at a picnic spot miles from anywhere. At first we were worried that she had just been dumped there. We put a spare lead round her neck & walked to the nearest farm house where we asked the farmer if he knew the dog or where it's owner lived. He couldn't have been more helpful & rang round all his contacts to see if they knew the owner. He eventually got the mobile number of someone thought to have a black lab & we discovered that this was indeed the owner of the houdini dog!!! She had dug her way under the fence of a garden about a mile away & made her way across fields to the car park/picnic spot. Apparently the owner walks her there several times a week but stopped because she used to mug picnickers, & try to scrounge food from them. It had got too embarrasing for the owner so he stopped taking her there. The dog was clearly unhappy about this so decided to take herself off to the pinic spot in the hopes of finding some softies willing to share their sandwiches .

The owner immediately jumped in his car to come & collect the dog, & was very grateful that we'd called him. But he did suspect she'd find her way back home if we hadn't tracked him down
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Thanks all I was just glad I was able to return her safely and I really hope they secure the gap in the fence with a bit more than chicken wire this time.

Wilbar well done too. The story about the black lab made me chuckle.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Thanks all I was just glad I was able to return her safely and I really hope they secure the gap in the fence with a bit more than chicken wire this time.

Wilbar well done too. The story about the black lab made me chuckle.
She was absolutely adorable & I must admit to being slightly disappointed that her owner was found as I'd already started to psych myself up about having another dog, & rehearsed the "sob story" so my OH would let me keep her She also had a coat that needed plucking & I couldn't wait to give a her a good groom & a bath if she were mine. Still, all's well that ends well!
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2010, 11:19 AM
well done guys xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Same from me!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >