View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
darby
New Member!
Male 

14-07-2010, 05:32 PM

Anyone have problems with Burns dog food?

My 7 year old cocker, Darby, was not feeling well last week - he was sluggish, not eating food and constipated. I toke him to the vet and the only problem he found was his anal glands were full. The next day I was shocked to find Darby had developed jaundice. The vet tested his bloods and found he had a liver inflamation. He gave me meds and I am due to go back for a checkup next Monday. Darby may need to have a biopsy. I don't know what has caused this. I am wondering if its diet related?

I started Darby on Burns 9 months ago. At the time he was overweight at 14kg. So I set his food to match his target weight of 13kg. Therefore 10g/kg - Darby got 130g per day. After about 6 months his weight dropped to 11.5kg but I still kept him on 130g.

I rang Burns helpline and they suggested that maybe (1) Darby wasn't getting enough exercise and (2) he was been overfed. That these reasons could cause problems with the liver and anal glands. They suggested I drop his food down to 100g per day. I told the nutritionist that Darby was very slim. She told me about her springer spaniel who gets 4 hours exercise a day, weighs 12kg and only gets 75g of Burns per day! (And gets no snacks.)

This doesn't seem right. A 100g for a cocker? I am starting to wonder if Burns is the right food for Darby. What do you think? Has anybody else out there have problems with Burns? How much do you feed? Thanks Paul.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2010, 06:56 PM
Burns is very good but doesn`t suit some dogs. My last GSD did really well on it but Daisy got very thin, so she was switched to Arden Grange, which is also very good but has a higher fat content. If you contact Arden Grange, they`ll give you all the info and samples.
I`ve switched mine to raw feeding now but Arden grange did very well when I was feeding complete.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2010, 08:09 PM
I have a GSP who loses weight very easily. Burns suited him very well but after 6 months he didn't like it so we are back on JWB and gradually moving towards raw feeding.
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-07-2010, 07:09 AM
Burns didn't suit Poppy (CKCS), she was very sluggish, and her skin and coat became very dry. Since taking her off it and moving to Hill's, she's a different dog, much more lively, skin is fine and her coat is full of shine, she doesn't moult anywhere near as much now either.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2010, 08:16 AM
Etta---springer, looked great on Burns but I couldn't get weight on her Fish4dogs has been a good substitute.

rune