Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2010, 05:18 AM

Mya - something's not quite right.....

Some unusual behaviour from Mya at the moment which is puzzling me a bit. Some background first.....

She is seriously food led - honestly, you would think she was starving.

She was checked at the vets last week when she had her vacs.

She had a small amount of pork crackling on Sunday which made her a bit squitty, but back to normal now.

She was wormed last Saturday.

At the moment, she is acting out of character. She has to be encouraged to eat her breakfast and dinner. She's hiding behind the sofa - something she's never done before. She usually mithers me after breakfast for her half a Rodeo, but the last few mornings has just disappeared back upstairs. She does come down when she hears the jar opening, but seems less enthusiastic than usual. She also seems nervous in the house...... this morning, after eating part of her breakfast, she came and hid behind my legs.

None of these behaviours are serious, just odd, and as such, a tad worrying.

Dean (vet) gave her a clean bill of health last week.

I'm hoping it's just a combination of the wormer and the reaction to the bit of pork rind she had, but, she's 8 in October, and I can't help remembering that I have lost three shibas in the past at 8-9 years old with cancer.

Any input as to why she's acting like this would be appreciated, and thanks for reading my long, rambling post.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2010, 05:21 AM
Vicki, if you're worried i would have her back to the vets you know your dog, maybe some blood tests are in order
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2010, 05:28 AM
I would agree with Lizzy23, blood tests may be the way to go. Unless you are able to settle it in your mind and leave it a few days to see if she comes right again.
I hate to say it and could be way off the mark but it sounds like she may be in some sort of pain, it may just be gut related. But the vet could give her some tablets or a jab with an anti spasmodic drug to help settle it down. But really this is just a stab in the dark.
I hope all it okay and it is just a bad spell and she picks back up.
Hugs to you both and let us know how you get on xxxx
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2010, 05:32 AM
It does sound like she may be in some discomfort Vicki. I agree that perhaps a trip back to the vets for blood tests etc may be in order if she continues like this.
Hiding and acting nervous are all signs of pain.
Hope she settles soon hun xx
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2010, 05:52 AM
Oh Vicki, I don't really have any advice to offer other than what the others have said.

I know what it's like to have something playing on your mind, at least if you have some blood/urine tests it will, hopefully, put your mind at rest.

(((Hugs))) xxx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-07-2010, 05:55 AM
No advice Vicki. But sending (((hugs))) to you and Mya.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-07-2010, 06:08 AM
Hi Vicki, a bit of pork crackling should have done Mya no harm.

Have there been any changes in the house, has anything scared her?
Are her mouth/teeth ok, I would check the roof of her mouth too.

Any change in behaviour and reluctance to eat food should not be ignored , I would speak to your vet .
Hope Mya is better soon xx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2010, 06:19 AM
I agree with the advice given.
I would get her checked moreso to rule out things than anything.
I always worry when dogs start hiding, it could be that she can hear something you can not/changes or she could be in discomfort.
Just a little something....Tess refused to go near the cooker last week, running passed it etc., when I looked one of the switches had been knocked on and there was a small hiss of gas.......I'd of never heard it otherwise just an example of odd behaviour
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2010, 06:37 AM
Having just lost a 9 yrold dog, who wasnt "ill" but just wasnt "quite right" id get her checked out asap

get her bloods & urine checked, if clear get a ultrasound done,& then teeth & throat checked.

Vets are somties too quick just to palm us off with abs, its up to us to be abit pushy at times.

Hope shes ok
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2010, 07:25 AM
I would agree with heading to the Vets - you know your girl.

Hope she is OK and is over whatever 'it' is soon

((Hugs))
xxxxx
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »