View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Margaret
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2010, 02:27 PM

Why do these things always happen when the vets are closed?

We had to make a visit to the emergency vet Sunday night as our little Pebbles had picked up something off the street on her evening walk and it blocked her throat, we thought we were going to lose her as she was in such a bad way, the vet couldn't remove it and in the end had to operate on her throat ( tracheotomy) and force the obstuction down into her stomach, it frightened the living daylights out of us, we were at the vets from 7.30 until 12.30pm, she had to be kept in overnight, we brought her back home next morning and she is still a wee bit poorly, from now on we will have to muzzle her on her walks as she picked it up so fast, it was hidden in the grass, but she found it, couldn't go through that again. Here she is on the road to recovery.
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 03:00 PM
oh my you must have got such a scare. I hope she feels better soon she's lovely.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2010, 03:23 PM
Hi Minx, it must have been a scary thing for you . Thankfully Pebbles looks none the worse for her ordeal xx
Margaret
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by Tori View Post
oh my you must have got such a scare. I hope she feels better soon she's lovely.
Thanks Tori, she is getting her cheek back again so she is feeling better.

Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Minx, it must have been a scary thing for you . Thankfully Pebbles looks none the worse for her ordeal xx
Minihahah, we were absolutely devastated she couldn't breath and at one point thought we were going to lose her, but the vet was brilliant and kept us updated throughout, as a last resort they had to operate, by this time we told him to do anything to save her, there was white froth coming from her mouth and nose there was a danger she could drown in the stuff, please god that will never happen again.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Oh you poor thing. How scary for you. Tilly did the same thing on a sunday night when she was a pup but luckily it passed down on its own before we got to the vets. Im so glad she's now on the road to recovery and you can breathe again!
Margaret
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
Oh you poor thing. How scary for you. Tilly did the same thing on a sunday night when she was a pup but luckily it passed down on its own before we got to the vets. Im so glad she's now on the road to recovery and you can breathe again!
Oh my, it's easy to see you have been there, it took us an hour to get to the emergency vet from where we live, and I think I held my breath all the way there.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by minx4 View Post
Oh my, it's easy to see you have been there, it took us an hour to get to the emergency vet from where we live, and I think I held my breath all the way there.
How scary!! Poor thing and am so glad she is OK.

What was the evil ''thing''?
Margaret
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
How scary!! Poor thing and am so glad she is OK.

What was the evil ''thing''?
The vet wasn't sure as there was so much foam coming from her mouth, but he said when he opened her up it seemed to have the texture of cotton wool but every time he tried to extract it, it just broke up and attached elsewhere he couldn't get a grip on it, it got so bad he said she started to turn blue and in desperation he pushed it down into her stomach instead, thankfully that worked and she started to breath again. there was actually two vets and a nurse working on her, I have to say they were brilliant.
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Poor Pebbles and poor you - how frightening. I know the wound looks awful and I am sure the bill was astronomical being on a weekend but Pebbles has lived to tell the tale and show the war wound to all her pals. May she recover quickly and remember this incident and learn not to pick things up like that, bless her. What a cutie. She still looks very perky considering if she was a cat she'd have only one life left. xx
Margaret
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by AllyLambell View Post
Poor Pebbles and poor you - how frightening. I know the wound looks awful and I am sure the bill was astronomical being on a weekend but Pebbles has lived to tell the tale and show the war wound to all her pals. May she recover quickly and remember this incident and learn not to pick things up like that, bless her. What a cutie. She still looks very perky considering if she was a cat she'd have only one life left. xx
We have to take her back to the vets tomorrow for a check up (our own vet) but already she seems to be doing well and getting cheekier by the minute. The bill was £1219 but fortunately we have her insured and only had to pay the excess, but she is worth every penny even if we had to fork out up front, we would get the money no matter what.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >