Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2010, 11:11 AM

What do you do if you see loose cows?

As I saw a load this morning, they must of moved at least a couple of miles, and the police and the farmer was rang, the police however didn't want to do anything about a dozen or so cows heading towards a road and the farmer was struggling to get them rouned up and moved even after being told were they was. So what do you do if you see a heard of cows on a walk, espcailly if you have a couple of dogs with you?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Get out of the way - fast!
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Totally different country, but if that happens here, we ring the police and they normally come out and/or ring the rangers to find who they belong to (we now have mandatory ear tagging or branding), as it can be dangerous for cows being on the road, more than one person has been killed in this area by hitting a stray cow, and the farmer is liable.
If I was walking my dogs I would go to the nearest farm and ask them if they were theirs or if they knew who's they were.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Get out of the way - fast!
Yup, a walk I used to go on had random herds of highland cows - you never knew where they were going to be - it was a public park where everyone ran their offlead dogs
I always kept an eye out but once when the dogs were running the cows were in an area I didnt expect
Thankfully after a alert bark they came back
Now I just dont walk there