Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 09:26 AM

I rescued a dog yesterday

Ok, it isn't quite as heroic as it sounds but it's a funny story so i thought I'd share it with you.

So, this week I'm walking OH's mums dog as she is away for a week. They have a small crossbreed terrier (Lakeland cross I think) called Ellie.

So last night I collected her and then decided to take her and Monty to the river walk I always do with Monty in the summer.

We were all having a lovely walk and the dogs had played in the river and chased each other in and out the water which is reasonably shallow for Monty at the moment but Ellie only has diddy little legs.

I spotted a tennis ball floating around in front of the weir so threw a stone in to show Monty where it was in the hope he'd go and get it.

He went charging in and Ellie followed quickly finding herself having to swim because it was too deep for her. But instead of swimming back to the bank she swam round and under some tree roots into a little alcove/cave and stopped there.

I called her back but she wouldn't come, I tried throwing stones to get her to chase them and nothing - she was not budging from this little cave and Monty at this point is going mental and charging round trying to find her.

So there was only one thing for it - I found a dry place to put the leads, my phone and keys down, rolled up my shorts and waded in to rescue Ellie (Montys now stood on the bank whimpering like a baby at this point!).

Fortunately the water wasn't too deep as I can't swim so the highest it came up to was middle of my thighs. The other fortunate thing is that Ellie is light as a feather so I scooped her out and put her back up on the bank and waded back to dry land.

I was glad I had old trainers on as I didn't want to go in barefoot but spent the rest of the walk with squelchy shoes and wet shorts.

Needless to say we're not going to the river again with Ellie this week!!
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 09:47 AM
~ no not quite how it sounded from the thread title but still pretty heroic as you don't swim!

I'm the same about squidgy things under my feet though & I certainly wouldn't ruin best walking boots or trainers to wade into a muddy river unless I had to. But if I know I'm going to get wet feet then I have a couple of pairs of old deck shoes that I use ~ especially good for paddling in the sea as there have been reports of weaver fish in the sea near us.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
~ no not quite how it sounded from the thread title but still pretty heroic as you don't swim!

I'm the same about squidgy things under my feet though & I certainly wouldn't ruin best walking boots or trainers to wade into a muddy river unless I had to. But if I know I'm going to get wet feet then I have a couple of pairs of old deck shoes that I use ~ especially good for paddling in the sea as there have been reports of weaver fish in the sea near us.
I just googled weaver fish as i'd never heard of them and will definitely be won't be going in the sea barefoot again!!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 11:54 AM
aw bless her that did make me chuckle, Best to stay clear..
There is nothing worse than having wet shows though is there.. eww!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Aww well done you!!
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
I just googled weaver fish as i'd never heard of them and will definitely be won't be going in the sea barefoot again!!
No they're not nice & the stings can be incredibly painful! They hide in the sand & are well camouflaged ~ but there are thousands of people in the sea over the summer so it's probably quite rare to tread on one. I remember a lady who came into a chemists where I was a saturday girl many years ago. One of her calf muscles was completely wasted away & she was hobbling with a stick. When she explained about her injury I sort of assumed she trod on the weaver fish in the Caribbean or somewhere. When she told me it was off Hove beach, I was horrified!! But I mustn't be a scaremonger......
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 01:08 PM
aw, well done! i nearly had to do the same with jake one day, but managed to get him back by running to the other side and dragging him out