Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 07:16 PM

Do you believe dog, or owner?

Ok normally if someone told me that their dog bit them I wouldn't doubt them, but this one has me doubting them.

Someone I know has a Rottie, gorgeous dog, friendly as anything, although I also know that a friendly dog can turn aggresive in a instant because of different things *looks at hand * this dog is amazing in my eyes anyway, and I've just spent a long time with him in the garden, brushing him off and taking him for a walk, he was his happy self, but I get back to have the owners tell me that the dog has bitten them on the arm and leg, which shocked me, I've known this dog since he was 8 weeks old. So I ask the owner about it, and get some story about how the dog went for his leg, and then jumped up and attacked his arm. Which is worrying thing to be told. But the man has short sleeves on, there isn't even a bruise on his arm hand anywhere I can't see his leg, but he is walking properly, and wouldn't show me. So I'm inclind myself to believe that the dog has been his loving self all the time, I mean if a Rottie grabbed hold of you leg and bare skin I think that there would be some evidence if the dog was trying to attack you but I can't see any reason for this man to lie, I mean why would you lie about your own dog like that?
danielle0211
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Do you think they mistook mouthing for biting? Thats the only thing I can think of!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 07:31 PM
What age is the dog?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-06-2010, 07:36 PM
If a dog meant too bite there would be some physical evidence.

When Zanta bit me she didn't break the skin but I had the biggest bruise you could imagine. That is when things had got so bad I had too return her too the breeder she is now re-homed and loving her life.

Ollie use to and still does sometimes mouth completely different to a bite, they are small little bruises dotted up your hands and arms.

I would of thought if this dog had bit him and being a large powerful breed there would be evidence ie: if it was on his leg he would be limping at least, if on his arms and wearing short sleeves you would definitely be able too see it.

Maybe like Danielle says it was mouthing.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 07:47 PM
...it could be as said 'mouthing' as u get that alot...people dont realise how serious the difference of words can be
that said also,in my exp...some dogs (paitents and at kennels)that supposedly growl or bite their owners do not show the same behaviour with me,so i can see it could be possible,
again as said,if he meant it,the owner would know...but either way whatever it 'was' it should not be ignored.
danielle0211
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-06-2010, 06:36 AM
I definately think that more about the precise details are needed.
Was the dog excited about something? I know with Bailey even a slight change in the tone of my voice used to be enough to get him mouthing and jumping up me.
I would also be interested to know the age of the dog as mentioned above.
I also agree with Layla that it should be stopped I used to love Bailey's mouthing he used to walk in the room and just hold my hand in his mouth seemingly just for the physical contact, no pressure applied at all. But when he began to show aggression to strangers - or mug them if they had closed hands for what he believed must be concealed treats! - I had to stop him so that I wasn't sending him mixed messages.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-06-2010, 06:58 AM
if that had been me i would have had the same doubts everything considered as you say

however, i would have told them at the time

ie, whilst pointing at his arm "you sure he wasnt play mouthing, if a rottie bit you you'd sure have a mark"
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 09:00 AM
i agree with the others about how he could have actually been mouthing. he may also have been a bit noisey trying to play... jake does that, he loves playing mouthy games and is so gentle, but the noise he makes, could make people thinks he is being aggressive, but he is just a noisey player.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 09:01 AM
Hmm it's hard to say. Isla and Oscar were playing together the other week and Isla somehow managed to get her bottom jaw stuck in his collar. All panic ensued - Oscar started screaming as he thought Isla was attacking him and Isla was screaming cos she couldn't free herself. I jumped in to pull them apart and in the panic Isla bit my hand. Nothing major, didn't break the skin, but it was bloody sore for a good few days. It didn't bruise much either. So I suppose there would've been many people that didn't believe me when I told them I got bitten, but then being 'attacked' would be a bit different. Perhaps the guy just has an over active imagination?!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 09:10 AM
I'd still be interested in the age of the dog
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >