Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2010, 06:49 PM

Junior Handling

For Blu's last puppy show there is YKC handling classes. Personaly I've never wanted to get involved in the junior handling but when filling out the form I thougt why not.. will be a laugh if nothing else! But what is expected from a junior handler? Blu doesn't behave at times so will that go against me if he decides to be a horror or does it depend on how I handle it?
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 07:11 PM
My 8 year old daughter took our CKCS in her first Junior handler class on saturday and came first!!!

She had to stand him and then run up and down, the judge asked them all to get their dogs to turn and face the other way in the line up, not something everyone could do!!

I just think they are great fun and a bit of experience, no one expects the dog and children to behave perfectly.
jan@pembs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-05-2010, 07:51 PM
My daughter used to do junior handling years ago (was a top junior handler) with my spinone. As said its all on turnout and handling/moveing the dog (presentation is everything). Knowing your ring craft (never come between the judge and your dog ect) knowing how to do whats asked of you (present the dogs teeth ect) and sometimes a little about your dog.

Just go out there and enjoy and learn as you go along, and google is your friend
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Well Blu behaved great today so if he behaves like that in the YKC handling then no probems hopefully. Will give the people around the ring a laugh anyway if nothing else Only 2 weeks til the show and it will be my boys last puppy class!!
Dachshund
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-05-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm considering getting my 7 yr old into YKC and get him doing junior handling, he's very self consious (sp?) though
littlefoot
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-05-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm just training Zeus at agility so my 5 year old willl be anle to handle him. To be honest I think my 3 year old daughter has better handling skills but she's still way to young.

I wish you and Blu all the best and enjoy it.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by Dachshund View Post
I'm considering getting my 7 yr old into YKC and get him doing junior handling, he's very self consious (sp?) though
It will be a great way to build his confidence, I never did the junior handling, I have only ever show at champ shows, but i was a nervouse wreck and really self consious at first..but its helped me..plus you forget your being watched! Lots of the little kiddies, that start junior handling are nervouse, so he wouldnt be alone.

Blu the Junior Handling is judged one everything, how well the dog goes from your instructions, how well you handle, how you sort a problem (for example of your dog refuses to stand), how the dog is presented ect!
Dachshund
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Thats what I was hoping, that it'd help him a bit. I'm still trying to persuade him to come to ringcraft. Another reason I'm considering a smaller breed, Jack is a bit strong and needs a firm handler or he messes about
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2010, 01:45 PM
aw well i handle a toy breed, the chinese cresteds..
Im sure it would help him out alot, i had to be persuaded alot to go to ring classes but once i was there i loved it and have enjoyed showing since .. no harm in getting another little family addition!
Dachshund
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Tell that to the OH LOL
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >