Our sister sites
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 06:43 PM

Allerdale council used terror laws to nick dog foulers

Allerdale council used terror laws to nick dog foulers

Last updated at 17:56, Monday, 24 May 2010

ALLERDALE Council has admitted to spying on dog owners to see if their pets foul pavements and are wearing a collar, in some cases using hidden cameras.

The authority was today named and shamed by the organisation Big Brother Watch, which says Allerdale has been misusing surveillance legislation aimed at tackling serious crime and terrorism.

The group used the Freedom of Information Act to ask 372 local authorities Regulation of Investigatory Power Act (Ripa) and found it was be used, on average, 11 times a day.

Allerdale has admitted using the Act a dozen times in 2007 and 2008, mostly to spy on dog owners. The council said the purpose of one of the investigations was: “To obtain evidence to see if [a] person is walking their dog, cleaning up after it but then depositing poop bag in trees, grass, or on road.”

Other surveillance was carried out to see if a dog was wearing a collar and tag with “possible photographing” being allowed in that instance.

Big Brother Watch campaigns against intrusions of privacy. It says councils such as Allerdale are abusing extensive powers, which allow them to bug homes and vehicles, follow people and use informers.

Alex Deane, the group’s director, said: “Now that the absurd and excessive use of Ripa surveillance has been revealed, these powers have to be taken away from councils.

“The coalition government plan to force councils to get warrants before snooping on us is good but that doesn’t go far enough. If the offence is serious enough to merit covert surveillance, then it should be in the hands of the police.”

But Councillor David Wilson, deputy leader of Allerdale, said it was using the law correctly and was mystified as to why it had been singled out.

He said: “We used it four times in 2007 and eight times in 2008 – these were static, covert observations not CCTV cameras after we received numerous complaints about dog fouling and strays in Silloth, Aspatria, Maryport and Workington. Use of the powers was authorised by the borough solicitor.”

Big Brother’s report, called The Grim Ripa catalogues alleged abuses. Hambleton Council in North Yorkshire, and the London borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, used the act to check on staff suspected of faking illness. Other councils said they monitored customers smoking and drinking outside a pub and investigated the “fly tipping” of clothes outside a charity shop.

More than 12 local authorities, including Allerdale, admitted using the Act to check up on dog owners whose pets were suspected of dog fouling. Newcastle-upon-Tyne Council used the act the most often – 231 times in two years.

A spokesman for the Local Government Association said: “Surveillance powers should never be used lightly but there are times when it’s clearly in local residents’ interests.

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/home/cu...rPath=/1.50001
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-05-2010, 07:03 PM
This is a tough one, big Brother vs dolts that don't clean up after their dogs in public. While I expect privacy in my home, in public is different.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 08:05 PM
I wish they would catch these people, we all are tarred with the same brush because of them and suffer the consequence.
littlefoot
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Yeah I'd have to agree. Although I don't like the thought of being watched, I hate the idea of the dogs being restricted on where they can go. Just due to some lazy begger not picking up their dogs poo. What annoys me more are the ones who hang them in the tree.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-05-2010, 03:31 AM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
I wish they would catch these people, we all are tarred with the same brush because of them and suffer the consequence.
Yes, dogs get banned because of those that don't clean up. They are our enemy.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Yes, dogs get banned because of those that don't clean up. They are our enemy.
Yes I quite agree Labman.

We have a field 2 minutes from our home where I walk my dogs in the mornings before I go to my part-time job. There was a young bloke who walked a Springer spaniel and he never would clear up after his dog and twice I stood in it and I was clearing up after 2 dogs so not very chuffed with this. One day I spotted his dog pooing and him leaving it and said" Have you forgotten your bag? Would you like a spare one?"
He looked at me like I was an alien! I tried to see the dog's address on the id tag but he grabbed the dog away.

I kept an eye out for him and a few weeks later followed him to his flat (backing on to the field) so I could report him to the dog warden. People like him are the reason responsible people like me can't take our dogs to lots of places. The dog warden was very good and went round to visit him and talk about his responsibilities. The funny thing was that after than his Mum used to walk the dog and she was really friendly to me and used to poop-scoop so good result.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Is it me or do you think it is mainly men who are dirty dog owners? Sorry-not to be sexist but that has been my experience and also other dog owners at work.