Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kitty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-05-2010, 02:33 PM

Getting a puppy

Hi Everyone.
We have decided that we will definatly be getting a puppy, I have been reading up all I can this week.
Firstly to make sure I choose a breed of dog that is right for us, and then I have looked into details about each breed that would seem suitable.
I have looked into the things I'll need to ask a breeder and how to choose a good breeder, also how to choose the right puppy, all the health issues which each breed is prone to.
I've also looked at each breed for level of grooming, amount of excersise needed, ability to get on with other pets and children, insurance costs, ease of training.

We think we have decided which breed we may get - a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.

I've even been in touch with a couple of breeders, they are a little way from us but I'm willing to travel. So we may be getting a puppy sooner than I thought as some are ready in the next week or 2. Very exciting

What are everyones opinions? Is there anything I may have missed?
Thanks
Dachshund
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Have you asked if they test for Syringromielia (sp?) and MVD
kitty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Thanks for your reply, I asked the breeders I spoke to on the phone, whether they did those tests, one said yes they did. The other one said yes we have all the tests done (and she seemed a bit vague really)
I can understand now why the prices can be so much higher from a good breeder as it can't be cheap getting all the puppies tested like that, it makes such a difference though as when they are prone to things like that its good to lessen the worry of it cropping up at some point.

Thanks for pointing that out though, it definatly something worth checking out.
Thanks x
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 03:10 PM
I think as a first dog, the temperament etc. of the cavalier is a really good choice - really lovely dogs.

But as Daschund says, please check that the breeders do all the health checks necessary as unfortunately there are some quite serious health issues with the breed.

I'd also be slightly sceptical of a breeder who has pups readily available as normally I would expct a good breeder only to breed when they have a full waiting list. However, there are possible reasons why they have pups available, os it might not mean much.

Good luck with your search
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Just seen your post about the health testing - my advice would be to read up what tests are needed, what the tests involve and what the results should be. this way someone who is making it up can't just fob you off as you will know more about it than them!
kitty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Good idea Hali, thanks!
I had read up on all the health issues with CKCS but I think it would be good to make sure I know all the names of each test and as you say if I know what each test involves I should have a bit more idea as to whether they know their stuff. Also a good breeder probobly wouldn't mind me questioning them about it as it can only be a good thing that I've taken the time to find out about it.
Thanks
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Hi,
No experience with the breed,they are supposed to be great little dogs though.

This club may be able to help you too,loads of info on there,including health issues,
http://www.thecavalierclub.co.uk/

Forgot to mention when you view pups ask to see the relavent certificates regarding the health of the dogs.
Good luck
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 03:27 PM
great advice about the health tests etc., and although I have no personal experience on the breed, I think they look great dogs.

I wish you all the very best in the future and look forward to pics of your new baby xxxxxxxxxx
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by kitty View Post
Hi Everyone.
We have decided that we will definatly be getting a puppy, I have been reading up all I can this week.
Firstly to make sure I choose a breed of dog that is right for us, and then I have looked into details about each breed that would seem suitable.
I have looked into the things I'll need to ask a breeder and how to choose a good breeder, also how to choose the right puppy, all the health issues which each breed is prone to.
I've also looked at each breed for level of grooming, amount of excersise needed, ability to get on with other pets and children, insurance costs, ease of training.

We think we have decided which breed we may get - a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.

I've even been in touch with a couple of breeders, they are a little way from us but I'm willing to travel. So we may be getting a puppy sooner than I thought as some are ready in the next week or 2. Very exciting

What are everyones opinions? Is there anything I may have missed?
Thanks

Good choice I would say, but as others have said, read up on all health issues and tests recommended by the breed club, Sal has already posted link

I would not be to dismayed at a breeder having a litter immanent, it may just be good timing on your part , so if said breeder had all tests done and is KC registered and the pups will be KC registered, then go for it.

Good luck, if this litter is not right dont worry, get on breeders waiting lists , your pup is out there waiting.

Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I think as a first dog, the temperament etc. of the cavalier is a really good choice - really lovely dogs.

But as Daschund says, please check that the breeders do all the health checks necessary as unfortunately there are some quite serious health issues with the breed.

I'd also be slightly sceptical of a breeder who has pups readily available as normally I would expct a good breeder only to breed when they have a full waiting list. However, there are possible reasons why they have pups available, os it might not mean much.

Good luck with your search
If the breeder has health tested, followed all criteria set down by the club/KC , and is breeding for herself and I like what I hear , I would nto hold it against her for not havign a full waiting list.

Sometimes you have to be a little understanding of one thing to gain another.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by kitty View Post
Thanks for your reply, I asked the breeders I spoke to on the phone, whether they did those tests, one said yes they did. The other one said yes we have all the tests done (and she seemed a bit vague really)
I can understand now why the prices can be so much higher from a good breeder as it can't be cheap getting all the puppies tested like that, it makes such a difference though as when they are prone to things like that its good to lessen the worry of it cropping up at some point.

Thanks for pointing that out though, it definatly something worth checking out.
Thanks x
You need to see the Scan certificates for the parents & grand parents. It's very important also to make sure that the grandparents are all over 5 with clear heart certificates & that both parents are over 2 1/2 years of age, in fact the older the father(with a clear heart, eye & normal MRI scan)the better

Don't accept the breeders word for the health testing, they should be willing to show you all the paperwork for the puppies before you seen the puppies.

Please don't buy a non KC reg Cavalier as it will be most unlikely that they will have been health tested at all.

I have at my feet one of my three cavaliers, who has SM as does the next oldest. touch wood our youngest Cavalier(who is from fully health tested normal parents & grand parents) I personally would never buy a non KC registered Cavalier & certainly I will make sure that any more cavaliers I get are like Roodee-bred from health tested parents by a breeder who really cares about the breed & not the money the puppies bring
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >