Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DollyDog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2010, 08:55 PM

Would a second dog/pup help my puppy?

I have posted before about my nervous/shy 8 month old cocker spaniel puppy. when talking to a trainer at our obedience school recently she suggested that getting another dog/pup that is more sociable and confident may help bring out my puppy's confidence.
do you think this would help? it's not something i take lightly, i know getting a second dog/pup is a big/serious decision and wouldn't just be a 'solution' to my dogs problems. but if it would help to bring my pup's confidence up and make her more happier while she's still relatively young then i would consider it. my pup does have a best friend the same age as her that she meets on walks sometimes, and does seem to be a lot more confident and comfortable around other people and dogs when she is there.
what do you guys think?
littlefoot
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2010, 09:56 PM
I've had puppy farm dogs in on foster. Zeus being confident has helped them, more than I ever could have on my own. Getting another pup that's more confident it could work perfect and it'll help bring her out. You could end up with a more dominant pup that could make her worse. If you do get another you might want to find a breeder that'll point you in the right direction to which pup would be best for you. Or even see if you can take you pup along to see which she likes best. So yes it could work if you find the right pup for the job. I would say if your really unsure try some fostering, there are alot of puppies in need of a good foster home. That's how I ended up with Momo.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2010, 10:05 PM
I don't think you should ever get a dog for your dog.

If you want another one fine - it may help, but be aware a youngster would have a good chance of copying her behaviour, and an older dog may bring its own issues.

But get a dog for you - because its what you want - not what you think is best for your girl
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by DollyDog View Post
I have posted before about my nervous/shy 8 month old cocker spaniel puppy. when talking to a trainer at our obedience school recently she suggested that getting another dog/pup that is more sociable and confident may help bring out my puppy's confidence.
do you think this would help? it's not something i take lightly, i know getting a second dog/pup is a big/serious decision and wouldn't just be a 'solution' to my dogs problems. but if it would help to bring my pup's confidence up and make her more happier while she's still relatively young then i would consider it. my pup does have a best friend the same age as her that she meets on walks sometimes, and does seem to be a lot more confident and comfortable around other people and dogs when she is there.
what do you guys think?
I think it is hard to say to be honest. It might help but equally it might not. The presence of another dog probably isn't going to change her shy personality into an outgoing one. In fact, your Cockers behaviour is more likely to rub off on an impressionable puppy rather than the other way around.

I'd be inclined to wait and see with time (she is still very young herself) and training if your pups confidence improves naturally before adding another. You may find that she becomes less nervous as she matures.
LillyBear
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Hi,
I agree with those who suggested it might not be such a good idea at this point.

What have you tried to do thus far in getting your pup to become more confident?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Honestly I would wait and train up your pup
She is still v young and there are lots of personality changes possible in the next couple of years

If you bring in another dog you will have to spend lots of time training up the new dog, and your dogs behaviour might end up rubbing off on your dog
TBH Mia dosent take her lead from me or Ben at all - if she wants to bark she will. and it is very difficult to keep up with Bens training when I am working on Mia so he has started barking at dogs too!!