Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 08:29 AM

Tight/loose leads

Is it just me that time after time i see people basically strangling there dog while on the move, and standing them on the table! even looking through pictures on here there are some dogs that are being stood and there leash is stringing them up! I cant stand it, its one thing that bugs the hell out of me, i see people doing it at shows and i just want to say something

I show my dogs on a loose leash, because simply i can they do not need strangling up to make them stand or have the lead so tight to make them move!

Is it just me that can see it or that it annoys? anyone that shows on a tight lead why??
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 08:45 AM
ive noticed it and it seems to be with the larger dogs i think.... i dont think i show daph on a tight lead, cant think though now lol i hold it straight up when she is on the table but thats for the simple fact she is too nosy when shes up there and tries to turn around lol

i dont particularly like it but i suppose if the dog is used to it from a young age then it might not bother them as much? i dont know. but think all of them should be shown on loose leads, but i guess again its about control too.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 08:48 AM
I havent ever seen you show Daph on a tight lead...If im showing and the little dog wont keep there head up while on the table i will raise the lead slightly..but lately have found that food is a much better trick for that
But some i see, there eyes look like there going to pop out, and if i was the judge i dont think i could place some one doing it

Showing should be getting the best out your dog and i really dont think you can do that by strangling it to make it stand, i have noticed with ours that if you give them a loose leash there more happy to do as they are told, maybe not for everyone though.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 08:49 AM
I always show on a loose lead I like to give the dog its head, thus the top line looks natural.

though holly can be a diva and drag behind me thus the lead does go tight, shes not keen on indoor shows...bless her.
I must be the only person with a rottie behind me in the ring when I show holly little blighter that she is.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Used to see it fair bit with the Toys - think some feel it makes them hold their head up better - let them be natural I say.....
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Devildogz i agree with you, a dog just never looks like a happy dog on a tight lead!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Yes at my very first show with Isla I was corrected by the judge and informed that my dog should be strung up! I almost told him to s*d off, but I chose the higher ground on this occasion.

Springers have never been strung up, nor will mine ever be!
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-05-2010, 10:10 PM
At ringcraft I got told to hold the lead tight because that's what you do with poodles.. Being new to showing I went along with it not thinking much of it but last week I went to stay with a friend so she could do Blu for me and she told me to go up and down the street with him. She said the lead is far too tight and it's making him look like a crab when he's walking so it's a loose lead now! But at the same time being new to showing I was going along with what I was told at ringcraft thinking they know right but really none of them own poodles! And the ones that do don't offer advice..

Saying that.. it anoys me more the way some people life their dogs onto the table or even in the cases with poodles to the ring so their topknot doesn't get ruined. How would they like their neck to be held while getting carried!