Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-05-2010, 06:17 AM

Need advice re cruciate

Just been given the go ahead to start small walks and hydro last Tuesday by the vet. Hydro was Thursday.
He seemed fine the following day, but yesterday he started slightly limping and lifting the leg occassionally while standing.
Any of you guys with experience of the operation have the same when you first started exercise again?
As you can imagine I'm quite worried. He only went out once yesterday and I don't think I will be taking him out today
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-05-2010, 07:36 AM
Hey Alf

I think the key is 'don't panic' - which I found myself doing a lot. You do have little set-backs and he will overdo i occasionally. As long as you start off a little bit at a time he'll be fine. We started off with just 2-3 minute walks 2 or 3 times a day. Charlie's first op was the hardest one but i think that's because we were totally unprepared for what a long process it was. She's a big dog like yours and as long as you remember the little and often thing you shouldn't go far wrong. Some days he'll look better than others, just don't be tempted to push him too far that's all. Set yourself targets and stick to them. We used the street light poles as a measure. Week one - 1 light pole. Week two - 2 light poles etc etc. Tha way you're not tempted to push too far on the days when he look ok.

Sorry for the lengthy waffle - in short i'm just saying yes you'll have days when he doesn't look great, but don't panic.

Good luck

Em x
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Yep agree with the above but I also believe that they must DO something!
If you rest the leg for too long the muscles will become weaker making it harder to recover.
It sounds like you are doing the right thing, little gentle exercise and gradually doing a bit more every week.

I had a wonderful vet for my girls op, and she made a brilliant recovery....she still runs like the wind and i have no intention of giving her a life stuck on a lead just in case she does it again! He said one of the biggest mistakes "old fashioned" vets make (tho he must be in his 50's!) is too prescribe too much rest!!!
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2010, 07:59 AM
p.s If it were my dog i would be doing a good few weeks worth of short walks before hydrotherapy JMO!!
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-05-2010, 08:24 AM
Thanks guys.
The vet recommended hydro, saying it was safer than walking.
I use this to measure walks
http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-go...calculator.htm

We are doing between 0.1 and 0.15 of a mile at the moment
WarFlyball
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Our boy had TPLO and was doing v short walks the next day, building them up gradually. He did sometimes try to not used the op leg but we were told by the vet to encourage him to and developed a 'use it' command.
Our vet didn't prescribe hydro for a good few weeks, then it was on the treadmill not in the pool so they could really ensure he was using all his legs and see what was going on.
He recovered fantastically, had both legs done about 5 months apart and started agility for fun - no one could believe he was 9 with bionic legs. Take it steady and follow the vets advice to the letter, it is a long road but Jake was proof it was definitely worth it and had a new lease of life...
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
p.s If it were my dog i would be doing a good few weeks worth of short walks before hydrotherapy JMO!!
hi
it should be the otherway round,hydro as soon as stitches are out..walking to be built up after (as hydro is non weight bearing)
it is the first 2 months post op are the most crucial in building muscle.
i would advise using something called 'muscle dog' along ith the hydro (which ideally should be at least twice weekly)
good luck
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2010, 08:53 PM
I agree with Warflyball, follow the vet's advice to the letter because they DO know what they are talking about (usually!).

Try not to worry too much......with our dear departed Bitz it was a long haul, and she did have setbacks. I would increase her walk by five minutes each day; this initially meant turning back after so long, but eventually we got to the point where a full circle walk was possible. Any op like this is traumatic, and the joints; muscles and ligaments take a long time to completely heal so pain is unfortunately par for the course.

Keep following the instructions, and on bad days turn back if your dog has had enough. There is always tomorrow
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I agree with Warflyball, follow the vet's advice to the letter because they DO know what they are talking about (usually!).

Try not to worry too much......with our dear departed Bitz it was a long haul, and she did have setbacks. I would increase her walk by five minutes each day; this initially meant turning back after so long, but eventually we got to the point where a full circle walk was possible. Any op like this is traumatic, and the joints; muscles and ligaments take a long time to completely heal so pain is unfortunately par for the course.

Keep following the instructions, and on bad days turn back if your dog has had enough. There is always tomorrow
HaHa, my dog would never have enough, he would be doing 2 mile walks now if I would allow him. He is already trying to persuade me that the walks we are doing are much too short.
It's down to me to judge really, and see how he is between walks
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2010, 09:59 PM
Hi Alf sorry i cant offer any advice but i do hope things improve soon! thinking of you and your little lad!