Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luchi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-05-2010, 11:23 PM

What makes your dog bark?

I have a 7 month old pup. She is a complete softy, She will bark at her bone, or stones in the garden that she plays with, but on the whole, is quiet. We do have lots of visitors, mostly friends of my sons, and she always greets them like long lost friends.

At night time, if there is a different unusual sound, she will bark. Otherwise not.

Today though, we had been for a walk in the woodlands nearby, and then to the polling station, We arrived home, and Luchi, looking intently towards our house, out of the car window started to bark and growl. (she has never done this before).

The reason......One of our flower pots had been knocked over!! (not sure how or why)

I got out of the car and stood it up right, Luchi came out of the car wagging her tail. Thing is, she noticed something was different!!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2010, 05:29 AM
A bark can be a warning that something is different, and this could well be what your pup picked up upon.

One of mine barks at everything if she is in the garden - people walking past (she cannot see them) etc. Summer is a noisy time for us here

Luchi sounds just lovely
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2010, 05:42 AM
Shady barks at life in general as she thinks any sound is something coming to get her.
Kyiro only barks when he gets really excited as I get the leads for walkies out of the drawer. Its too much effort and energy to bark at any other time
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2010, 06:38 AM
Heeehee ah bless, makes me laugh when they bark at something silly like that.

Keisha's like that, the other day she barked at a wooden post in the river that isn't usually there! She barks at wheelbarrows, big men out on walks and any strangers in the cul de sac, and god forbid they come at NIGHT! Amazing, she knows all the neighbours and doesn't bark at them
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-05-2010, 08:14 AM
Glad mine's not the only looney!
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Hector will only bark when excited or is scared to do something he's not sure of. Wuss!

Bonnie will bark at anything but soon stops when she looks at me with my scowl on my face

Dogs are daft sometimes
Luchi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Heeehee ah bless, makes me laugh when they bark at something silly like that.

Keisha's like that, the other day she barked at a wooden post in the river that isn't usually there! She barks at wheelbarrows, big men out on walks and any strangers in the cul de sac, and god forbid they come at NIGHT! Amazing, she knows all the neighbours and doesn't bark at them
Ahh Bless

I know, it is amazing the different behaviour at night time. Luchi too takes happenings at night very seriously indeed!! lol
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Lol at your Luchi barking at the flower pot, but at least she's perceptive!

My dogs go nuts and bark like mad when one particular terrior dares to walk past our house, but the terrier starts it first, so I let my dogs bark at it! It's got big ideas, it tried to kill Zena once up on the village green, and she has never forgotten it!

They let people walk past most of the time without barking, and they even let the little terrier behind us bark like mad, they don't respond to that which I find strange Where our front garden fronts the main High street in the village, although there's a 6ft fence, if they smell another dog, then they usually bark as they go past and sniff under the gate, but usually stop when I tell them to be quiet.

Not much else really, except the doorbell of course, that sends them off on one, but not for long. Zena will always bark at any visitors, until they've given her cheese, then she likes them and stops barking.

The other day, I threw a bag of compost over the garden gate (coz it's always locked and I couldn't get in!), and when I went out there to retrive it with Zena, she gave it a funny look, approached it with great intrepedation, but never barked at it, but she didn't like it lying there, again, something different!
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Ruby barks whenever someone walks past or knocks the door; Dyson can't be bothered most of the time, but occasionally will copy Ruby half heartedly!
Kiing
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Anton barks at the doorbell, some visitors, some dogs, people walking past the house and strangers approaching him too quickly. Bloody neurotic dog.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >