Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2010, 07:49 PM

How often do you worm your dog/s?

Hi

I was just wondering how often you worm your dogs.

My vet tells me that I should be worming my dogs every three months, which seems to me a bit excessive especially as I have never seen any evidence of worms in my dogs.

I currently worm them every six months but have noticed they both vomit the day after I do this. I'm not sure if it because of the type of worming tablets I give them (drontal) or if this is normal.

I would be interested to hear your views.

Sarah
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by sarah8 View Post
Hi

My vet tells me that I should be worming my dogs every three months, which seems to me a bit excessive especially as I have never seen any evidence of worms in my dogs.

I currently worm them every six months but have noticed they both vomit the day after I do this. I'm not sure if it because of the type of worming tablets I give them (drontal) or if this is normal.

Sarah
hi
worming protocol is different depending on how and where your dog lives.the reason 3 months is mentioned is it is the bva guidelines and is inline with the worm cycle.
when you are worming your dogs you are only dealing with the worm burden your dog has at that time,
my worry is 'lungworm' as this can kill,and for that i have to treat my dogs monthly
the most likely reason your dog vomits the day after worming,is that your dog has a worm burden and the wormer is working
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by sarah8 View Post
Hi

Sarah
Every 6 months is not enough IMO. In addition, as Tupacs says, if your dog vomits after worming this usually means he has a worm burden ...

... however, having said that, I did find that Drontal used to make Hal sick sometimes. A far better wormer to use IMO is Panacur ... not only it is gentler, it will also kill Giardia (a protozoa, not a worm) and also lung worm. I am not sure that Drontal covers lung worm, and this is becoming a problem in the UK now. My daughter's Chihuahua loves to eat snails, and so regular dosing with Panacur is a must for him.

I worm every 3 months, often more frequently because we have a Giardia problem round here due to the local farmer spreading human sewage sludge on the fields.
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hi
worming protocol is different depending on how and where your dog lives.the reason 3 months is mentioned is it is the bva guidelines and is inline with the worm cycle.
when you are worming your dogs you are only dealing with the worm burden your dog has at that time,
my worry is 'lungworm' as this can kill,and for that i have to treat my dogs monthly
the most likely reason your dog vomits the day after worming,is that your dog has a worm burden and the wormer is working
I agree! When you worm an animal you deal with the Adult worms... The treatment does nothing to the larvae... Every dog has worms, only when the infestation is minimal your dog's body is perfectly capable of dealing with it naturally... However, if you live in a densly (dog) populated area, or in an area with a lot of fleas, the chances of your dog being infected again and again with new active larvae is much higher... Ergo, you need to deworm more often to kill off the adult worms and prevent them from depositing even more potentially active larvae into your dog... the larvae can rest in all organs of the dog for quite a long time... What activates them? Any number of things, but pregnancy in bitches does the trick every time.... the active larvae get into the milk.... So all pups get infected...

By the time you see worms in your dog's poop your dog has a major infestation which the body can no longer deal with... I prefer not to let it get this bad and therefore deworm every 3 months...
Luchi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Same here. Every three months. Luchi has Milbemax. A broad spectrum wormer.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Every January is enough for me. Has worked for the last 20 years so I'm happy.

Well not for me obviously, for the dogs!
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-04-2010, 01:22 AM
I currently have my dogs on Sentinel for heartworms. It also controls whip worms and some others. I don't routinely use anything else, but do have a fecal done whenever I have the dog into the vet. I switched to sentinel after one of the routine fecal tests turned up whipworms.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 07:47 AM
i had never done mine then mia got a tapeworm. i gave them both a couple of rounds of drontil then i did two months of diatomous earth and i just give that every now and again. it makes their coats soft and shiny too
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
i had never done mine then mia got a tapeworm. i gave them both a couple of rounds of drontil then i did two months of diatomous earth and i just give that every now and again. it makes their coats soft and shiny too
What is that? Where can i get that?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hi
what treatment do you use hun?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >